Why Leading Technology Companies Turn to Axinn
Axinn’s trial lawyers have decades of experience helping technology companies defend and protect their businesses and innovations. Our team has tried significant disputes in courts across the nation before judges and juries, before the United States International Trade Commission (ITC), and the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB), as well as before international arbitration tribunals.
Our trial lawyers have diverse academic and work experience in electrical engineering, physics, math, and computer science, along with business know-how and in-house legal expertise. This rare combination of skills and backgrounds allow us to provide a broader perspective and deliver results that are aligned with our clients’ near- and long-term business goals.
Our trial team’s experience spans a wide range of technologies, including:
- Semiconductor material and circuitries, LCDs, LEDs, memory, displays, fiber optics, and analog electrical components;
- Software technologies, including computer operating systems, computer graphics, video streaming, user interfaces, and social networking;
- Audio and video compression;
- Communication technologies, including satellites and antennas, various data and routing protocols in wired communications, and the entire suites of wireless telecommunication standards, including GSM, CDMA, UMTS, and LTE (2G, 3G, and 4G).
We are adept at tailoring lean and efficient trial teams to handle litigations of all sizes. Over the past two decades, our lawyers have resolved complex and challenging cases for leading global companies, such as:
- Multiple patents being asserted against hundreds of varying products;
- Cutting-edge disciplines and issues on evolving patent doctrines, damages, and equitable jurisprudence;
- Antitrust and contract claims involving standard-essential patents (SEPs), the propriety of seeking and enforcing injunctions on SEPs, as well as the determination of fair, reasonable, non-discriminatory (FRAND) royalties for the world’s largest SEP portfolios.
Representative Trial and Litigation Experience
Our lawyers have served as lead counsel and key trial members and obtained scores of wins and favorable resolutions in bet-the-company cases with billions of dollars in damages claims and with injunctions and exclusion orders threatening the client’s ability to sell its mainstay products.
- Complete defense jury verdict in Northern District of Texas, including finding of non-infringement of all asserted claims against all asserted products and invalidity on all asserted grounds in patent litigation involving CAD software.
- Judgment of invalidity in Central District of California, affirmed by Federal Circuit, of patent involving computer graphics software; cert petition to Supreme Court denied.
- Judgment of invalidity in Delaware, affirmed by Federal Circuit, of patents involving video streaming technologies.
- Judgment of invalidity in Delaware of all asserted patents involving social networking products and award of all requested costs following contested motion, plus CBM victories.
- Final determination of no violation in the ITC, affirmed by Federal Circuit, on all five asserted patents involving LCD products.
- Initial determination of no violation of all asserted patents in the ITC involving mobile devices, resolving related district court and second ITC action filed by same complainant.
- Successful post-trial resolutions in over ten disputes with the world’s major patent holders in wireless SEPs after ITC hearings and parallel trials in Europe and China, including securing an antisuit injunction, thus prohibiting enforcement of foreign injunctions against the client’s ability to manufacture and sell its products across the globe.
- Winning outcomes in international arbitrations dealing with determining the fair, reasonable, and non-discriminatory royalties for standard-essential patents in wireless communications and video coding technologies.
- Positive resolution on the eve of trial for the owner of one of the earliest patents for selling digital-content downloads with encryption after prevailing on a two-week claim construction hearing, a summary judgment of non-obviousness, and evidentiary pretrial motions.
- Successful pretrial resolution for one of the world’s leading wired-communication equipment makers against its primary competitor in a case involving tens of patents covering all significant aspects of data communications protocols.