Aziz Burgy has over a dozen years of patent litigation experience, including over 30 pharmaceutical and medical device cases. Aziz has tried patent cases in U.S. district courts and before the International Trade Commission, including those involving pharmaceuticals, medical devices, Internet security, robotics, software and GPS technology. He also has extensive experience litigating before the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office.
- Judicial Intern to the Honorable Arthur J. Gajarsa of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- Aziz is a member of the Maryland Bar Association, the District of Columbia Bar Association, the ITC Trial Lawyers Association, the Federal Circuit Bar Association; the American Intellectual Property Law Association, and the American Bar Association.
- Patent Owners May Not Like PTAB Claim Construction Change, Law360, May 10, 2018
- Increased Patent Review Fees Could Impact Litigation, Corporate Counsel, December 4, 2017
Aziz co-wrote “Slow Down Before Accelerating: Litigation Ramifications of Accelerated Examination Procedure on Nanotechnology,” The SciTech Lawyer; Summer 2007 (Vol. 4, No.1).
Seminars & Classes
- “Harnessing the Power of Covered Business Method Patent Review,” ACI’s inaugural conference on Post-Grant PTO Proceedings; New York, NY; March 25-26th, 2015
- “Combating Patent Trolls," Texas Bankers Association 130th Annual Meeting; Colorado Springs, CO; May 8, 2014.
- “Patent Wars: The Impact of Patent Trolls on Financial Services,” NACHA Counsel Mega Meeting; Reston, VA; October 3, 2013.
- “Patents: Industry Strategy and Response,” American Bankers Association; Washington, DC; May 17, 2013.
- “Dealing with Non-Practicing Entities,” American Bankers Association Community Bankers Council Spring Meeting; Tucson, AZ; April 28, 2013.
- “Receiving a Cease and Desist Letter from a Non-Practicing Entity: Top Ten Things to Know,” American Bankers Association; Washington, DC; January 10, 2013.
- Guest Lecturer, George Mason University, Fairfax, VA (Spring 2011, Spring 2012, Spring & Fall 2014).
- “Protecting Assets Through Trade Secrets,” The Business of Intellectual Property Conference, Technology Council of Maryland; March 27, 2008.
- JD, magna cum laude – University of New Hampshire School of Law (2003); Editor, IDEA: The Journal of Law and Technology
- MS, Johns Hopkins University (2000)
- BS, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (1996)
- District of Columbia
- US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- US Court of Federal Claims
- US District Court District of Columbia
- US District Court District of Maryland
- US District Court Northern District of Ohio
- US Patent and Trademark Office