Matt Becker serves as Axinn’s Managing Partner and focuses his practice on intellectual property litigation, analysis and counseling. His intellectual property litigation practice predominantly includes patent infringement and trade secret litigation and his counseling practice focuses on advising clients regarding avoiding third party intellectual property rights in conjunction with product development, conducting patent infringement and validity analyses, and providing strategic advice regarding patent portfolio development.
Matt has served as lead counsel in significant patent infringement lawsuits, disputes concerning patent inventorship and patent ownership, claims of breach of license agreements, trade secret misappropriation, breach of contract and business torts. Many of these actions have involved the chemical or electrical arts. He has handled a significant number of Hatch-Waxman pharmaceutical patent infringement litigations, and has also litigated patent infringement cases involving electronic components of nuclear detection equipment, embedded computers, brushless DC fans and hard drive motors, specialty optical fibers, product packaging, tools and hardware, and various business methods. Matt’s role in these matters has included the development of trial strategy, Markman hearings, jury trials and all aspects of discovery.
- American Bar Association, Section of Intellectual Property Law, Federal Practice Committee Intellectual Property Owners Association
- Connecticut Intellectual Property Law Association
- Connecticut Bar Association, Section of Intellectual Property Law
- Representation of a major generic pharmaceutical company in Hatch-Waxman patent infringement action pending in the District of New Jersey involving methylphenidate hydrochloride extended-release capsules.
- Defense of pharmaceutical company in Hatch-Waxman litigation pending in the Southern District of Indiana relating to duloxetine hydrochloride capsules.
- Representation of major generic pharmaceutical company in parallel actions in the District of New Jersey and the District of Delaware involving dexmethylphenidate hydrochloride extended release capsules.
- Defense of generic pharmaceutical company in Hatch-Waxman patent litigation relating to atomoxetine hydrochloride capsules.
- Various counseling projects for pharmaceutical companies involving patent analysis relating to Abbreviated New Drug Applications.
- Successful defense to verdict of an international manufacturer of electronic fans and hard drive motors against claims of infringement of multiple patents covering brushless direct current motors used in computer equipment.
- Defense of a major manufacturer of nuclear detection equipment in a patent infringement action involving a nine-figure damage claim in the U.S. District Court in Knoxville, Tennessee, in which a favorable settlement was obtained at the outset of trial.
- Representation in multiple patent and commercial actions of a leading manufacturer of electronic environmental monitors which were favorably resolved through settlement and summary judgment.
- Successful procurement of injunctive relief on behalf of a prominent pharmaceutical manufacturer in a trade secret action against a competitor.
- Representation of aerospace corporation in breach of license agreement claim in which a seven figure settlement was obtained.
- Representation of manufacturer of specialty optical fibers in action alleging infringement of ten patents. Obtained dismissal of claims relating to seven patents, and favorable settlement of remaining claims.
- Representation a major software manufacturer in a highly publicized business method patent case involving online travel services.
- Defense of a leading manufacturer of hand tools in patent infringement action in which multiple patents were asserted, and in which all claims were dismissed with prejudice following a successful Markman hearing.
- Representation of a Fortune 500 forest products corporation in multiple patent infringement and trade secret litigation matters and in intellectual property strategic counseling.
- Representation a Fortune 100 corporation in obtaining a multimillion-dollar judgment and permanent injunction after a three-year litigation against a competitor based on the misappropriation and misuse of proprietary drawings and technology.
- Prosecution and defense of various patent infringement lawsuits in the U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut on behalf of a manufacturer of compact disc labeling equipment and software.
- Defense of a leader in the electronic billing field against patent infringement claims, and negotiation of acquisition of the patent-in-suit.
- Defense of U.S. and German manufacturers of multi-gas analyzers against claims of patent infringement and trade secret misappropriation.
- Successful defense of Fortune 500 corporation in patent infringement action involving pneumatic shears.
- Federal Circuit Affirms Axinn’s Trial Victory for Alvogen
- The 2020 Edition of Benchmark Litigation has selected Axinn as a “Recommended Firm” and named four Axinn partners as IP “Litigation Stars” in CT and DC
- Axinn Partners Named to Best Lawyers 2020
- Chambers USA Recognizes Axinn Lawyers and Practice Groups
- Axinn’s Client Awarded Attorneys’ Fees in “Exceptional” PIV Case
- Axinn Named a "Legal Lion" for Federal Circuit Patent Win
- Axinn Attorneys Named in Super Lawyers 2018
- Axinn Leads Alvogen to Victory in Hatch-Waxman Case for Generic Zohydro®
- Nine Axinn Partners Named to Best Lawyers 2019
- Chambers USA Recognizes Seven Axinn Partners
- Axinn Attorneys Named in Super Lawyers 2017
- Eight Axinn Partners Named to the 2018 List of Best Lawyers in America
- Six Axinn Partners Recognized by Chambers USA
- Axinn Attorneys Named in Super Lawyers 2016
- Six Axinn Partners Named to the 2017 List of Best Lawyers in America
- Seven Axinn Partners Recognized by Chambers USA
- Axinn Partners Named to the 2016 List of Best Lawyers in America
- Axinn Attorneys Named in Super Lawyers 2015
- Matt Becker, Jim Veltrop, John Briggs, Steve Axinn and Fran Morrison Named to the List of 2015 Best Lawyers in America
- Axinn Attorneys Named in Super Lawyers 2014
- Axinn Wins Dismissal of Trademark and Copyright Infringement Complaint
- Axinn Wins $16 Million Damages Award for Medical Device Client at Jury Trial in Delaware
- Axinn Assisted Actavis in Resolving Ten-Year-Old Dispute with Pfizer
- Matthew Becker Speaks With PharmaWire on the Potential Patent Life of BTC and Johnson & Johnson’s Abiraterone Drug For Prostate Cancer
- Matt Becker participates in GC New England Rountable on Patent Litigation
- Axinn Serving as Patent Counsel for ADHD and Pain Relief Medications
- View More ›
- Joint Infringement Post-Akamai Part Two: Decisions Since Akamai and Practice Insights, The Intellectual Property Strategist, February 2017
- Joint Infringement Post-Akamai Part One: Exploring the New Joint Infringement Standard, The Intellectual Property Strategist, January 2017
- Federal Circuit Flips On Willfulness Questions in Stryker v. Zimmer, Medical Device Daily, September 14, 2016
- 4 Lessons From A Year Of Claim Construction Under Teva, Law360, January 25, 2016
- Law360's Q&A With Axinn's Matthew Becker, Law360, July 15, 2013
- Raising the Bar of Patentability, Conneticut Law Tribune, April 21, 2008
- What is Patentable?, IP Law and Business, October 2007
Interpreting the Entire Market Value Rule, Connecticut Law Tribune Intellectual Property Supplement, July 16, 1999
Expert Testimony After Daubert: What is Admissible? Environmental Compliance and Litigation Strategy, Vol. 11, No. 7, December 1995
- ACI 8th Annual Advanced Summit on Medical Device and MedTech Patents
- ACI 7th Annual Advanced Summit on Medical Device and MedTech Patents
- Centerforce 4th Annual IP Strategy Summit - Silicon Valley
- SCOTUS Update: Impact of Halo and Stryker on Enhanced Patent Damages Assessments
- Assessing the Patent and FDA Strategies for Follow-On Biologics to Maximize Success
- JD, summa cum laude – Indiana University School of Law (1991)
- BS, Chemistry – Indiana University (1988)
- US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- US District Court District of Connecticut
- US Patent & Trademark Office