Matt Murphy leverages his prior experience as a research scientist to represent pharmaceutical, life sciences, and other companies in complex patent and trade secret litigation.
Recognized among IAM Patent 1000’s “World's Leading Patent Professionals,” Matt combines his litigation prowess and technical background to provide a 360-degree perspective on the legal trends and business challenges clients face. His experience in research and development for leading pharmaceutical and medical device companies makes him particularly adept at leading expert witness examinations and developing novel remedies arguments to defend or dispute damages claims.
In addition to representing pharmaceutical, life sciences, and medical device companies, Matt advises clients in the Fintech, wireless communications, healthcare, and lighting industries. He has led multiple patent and trade secret litigations with multibillion-dollar claims, including a recent $2 billion trade secret case in which Matt obtained summary judgment of no loss profits.
Matt is the training partner for associate lawyers in Axinn’s Intellectual Property Practice Group. His pro bono work includes helping nonprofits, startups, and small businesses secure copyright protection for artistic works. He is a member of the Connecticut Bar Association Intellectual Property Section Executive Committee.
- Connecticut Bar Association, Intellectual Property Section, Executive Committee
- American Bar Association, Section of Intellectual Property Law
- Representation of a major public corporation in a trade secret and breach of contract litigation involving electronics products in the United States Court for the District of Connecticut.
- Representation of a leading manufacturer in patent litigation concerning food products in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois.
- Defense of a billion dollar patent litigation involving a generic drug in the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey.
- Axinn Attorneys Named to Best Lawyers 2024
- Axinn and IP Partners Ranked by IAM Patent 1000: The World’s Leading Patent Professionals
- Litigator of the Week Honors for Patent Trial Success
- Axinn Achieves Trial Success for Norwich Pharmaceuticals as it Seeks to Market a Generic of Xifaxan®
- Axinn Promotes Matthew Murphy to Partner, James Hunsberger, Melanie Kiser, and Michael O'Mara to Counsel
- Axinn Promotes Bradley Justus and Matt Murphy to Counsel
- Axinn Successfully Argues for Claim Construction in Mayne v. Merck
- Axinn Secures IPR Victory for Par in Challenge to Horizon’s Ravicti Patent
- Entire Market Value Rule Vs. 'Convoyed Sales' Rule
- Axinn Wins Preliminary Injunction for WEX Health (formerly known as Evolution1)
- View More ›
- Axinn IP Update: Federal Circuit Applies Lead Compound Analysis and Confirms Obviousness of Deuterated Derivatives of Ruxolitinib, August 29, 2023
- Axinn IP Update: District of Delaware Magistrate Judge Recommends Dismissal of Claims of Induced Infringement in Skinny Label Case, June 28, 2023
- 'Intended Purpose' of a Flower: Gauging Patent Invalidity Based on the Public Use of Plants and Genetic Information, Reuters Westlaw Today, June 8, 2023
- Axinn IP Update: Supreme Court Denies Cert. in Skinny Label Case, but the Impacts from GSK v. Teva Continue, May 15, 2023
- FTC Faces Calls for IP Carveouts in Noncompete Ban Rulemaking, Bloomberg Law, January 17, 2023
- Axinn Elevates Scientist-Turned-Atty to Partner, 4 to Counsel, Law360 Pulse, January 7, 2022
- Appeals Court Affirms Life Spine’s Injunction Against L&K Biomed for Prolift Device, BioWorld, August 10, 2021
- A Close Look at European Union's AI Regulation Proposal, Law360, April 22, 2020
- Quest Integrity v. Cokebusters Puts Cloud-Based Medical Diagnostic Patents at Risk of On-Sale Bar, Medical Device and Diagnostic Industry, February 7, 2020
- Axinn IP Update: Federal Circuit Addresses BPCIA Safe Harbor, Damages, Axinn Update, December 19, 2019
- Protecting Intellectual Property in the Era of Intelligent Machines, Connecticut Bar Association, Fall 2019
- After-Developed Defenses Still Relevant After Halo, Law360, July 15, 2016
- Entire Market Value Rule Vs. 'Convoyed Sales' Rule, Law360, April 7, 2014
- Should The Entire Market Value Rule Apply To Lost Profits?, Law360, November 5, 2013
- ACI 3rd Annual Passport to Proficiency on the Essentials of Hatch-Waxman and BPCIA
- Trade Secret IP Protection & Litigation Summit 2023
- Centerforce IP Strategy Summit 2023
- Trade Secret IP Protection & Management West Coast Summit
- ACI 8th Annual Paragraph IV Disputes Master Symposium
- Intellectual Property: 2020 SCOTUS Decisions and Other Landmark Cases
- 2020 Connecticut Legal Conference
- Recent IP Cases and Developments
- Ethics and Intellectual Property Traps, Pitfalls and Adventures in IP Lawyering (2017)
- JD – University of Connecticut School of Law (2009)
- BS, Chemistry, cum laude – University of Connecticut (2001)
- New York
- US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- US District Court District of Connecticut