Why Leading Medical Device Companies Turn to Axinn
Axinn’s technical and life-sciences trained attorneys serve clients across a broad range of medical device technologies, including spinal implants, stents, catheters, blood pressure sensors, contrast agents, veterinary implants, and wound dressings. Axinn has successfully analyzed, navigated, and litigated FDA issues, including issues related to the marketing and approval of medical devices, human tissue products, pharmaceuticals, and biologics. We have earned a problem-solving reputation, repeatedly being chosen to replace trial counsel in the midst of or after discovery in big cases with big problems.
Axinn brings to every client the cumulative experience of its individual lawyers, who have successfully dealt with legal issues related to many types of medical devices, including but not limited to:
- Blood Pressure Sensors
- Contrast Agents
- Diagnostic Antibodies
- Drug-Eluting Stents
- Implants (e.g. for Spinal Fusion)
- Time-Release Polymer Coatings
- Woven Fabric Filtration Media
Our lawyers have tried hundreds of cases in courtrooms around the country, including numerous cases in the jurisdictions that frequently handle patent matters.. Roughly half of Axinn’s IP lawyers have advanced technical degrees, as well as “hands-on” experience working in various life science areas, including attorneys who have garnered experience as:
- bench scientists;
- research and formulation scientists;
- biomedical, genetic, electrical and process development engineers;
- members of professional societies for engineers and scientists; and
- scientific authors and quoted experts.
Representative litigation experience includes:
- Obtained a $16 million jury verdict for Johnson & Johnson subsidiary DePuy Synthes, successfully asserting three patents protecting intervertebral implants used in spinal fusion procedures. The award was for the full amount sought in sales royalties.
- Prosecuted inter partes reviews directed to patents claiming medical devices that facilitated settlement of pending litigation.
- Prosecuted and obtained a favorable settlement for our client in two cases brought against a competitor concerning dynamic stabilization devices for the spine.
- Using our patent litigation experience, enabled a client that was developing a platform for human tissue growth using adult stem cells to design around patented technologies, secure its own patents, and obtain a license for a critical technology at a fraction of the royalty originally demanded by a competitor.
- Won dismissal of indirect and willful infringement claims brought by a leading non-practicing entity against a leading orthopedic and neurosurgery company. The case settled shortly after the claims were dismissed.