During his career as a trial lawyer, Fran Morrison's clients have entrusted him with the trial to verdict and/or judgment of some 70 cases. Those cases have included defense and prosecution of matters with multi million and billion dollar exposure involving critical technological patents and trade secrets. The technologies have included: direct current brushless motors; wireless lighting control systems; microprocessor applications in fresh produce delivery systems; electromagnetic nonchemical water treatment systems, synthesis/resolution of organic pharmaceutical compounds; relationship of pH and solubility to pharmaceutical delivery systems; respirator filter media involving plasma fluorination and hydrocharging; anterior spinal fusion technologies; medical devices involving laser applications; and various assorted business-related trade secrets and confidential information.
Fran's trials have also included products liability and commercial claims involving turbo propeller control systems; gas turbine design, operation and maintenance; commercial truck steering gear design; tobacco and health issues and fraud and unfair trade practice claims. He has also devoted substantial pro bono efforts on behalf of prisoners and military veterans.
Fran is a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers since 1993 and a charter member of the American Board of Trial Advocates in Connecticut since 1984.
- American College of Trial Lawyers
- American Bar Association, Section of Litigation Law
- Connecticut Bar Association, Litigation Section
- Corporation Counsel, Town of West Hartford, CT (1983-1985)
- Line Officer (weapons, crypto, legal and officer of the deck underway), US Navy (1969-1972); USS Grand Canyon (AR-28)
Representative Patent and Trade Secret Matters
- Co-tried to conclusion for a generic pharmaceutical manufacturer a bench trial involving claims of obviousness and lack of written description regarding patented pharmaceutical composition Omidria.
- Tried to verdict for patentee medical device manufacturer case involving patented spinal fusion technology.
- Tried to verdict for patentee a jury case involving patented plasma fluorinated and hydrocharged filter media (including trial of Walker Process and sham litigation claims).
- Tried to judgment for defendant generic pharmaceutical manufacturer in a case involving patented pharmaceutical composition Intuniv* (Guanfacine).
- Tried to judgment for defendant generic pharmaceutical manufacturer case involving patented pharmaceutical composition Lyrica* (Pregabalin).
- Tried jury case to settlement for defendant generic pharmaceutical manufacturer/Purepac case involving patented pharmaceutical drug Neurontin* (Gabapentin).
- Tried to conclusion Motion for TRO/PI for defendant generic pharmaceutical manufacturer case involving patented drug Restoril (Temazepam).
- Tried TRO for plaintiff optical fiber manufacturer case involving technical trade secrets.
- Co-tried to judgment for defendant trade secret claims related to electromagnetic water treatment technology.
- Obtained summary judgment of infringement and validity for patentee case involving electronic temperature and acceleration monitors and argued subsequent Federal Circuit appeal.
- Handled Markman hearing on behalf of defendant case involving hand tool technology.
- Tried to verdict on behalf of international defendant infringement and validity claims involving direct current brushless fans used to cool electronic devices.
- Tried to judgment on behalf of defendant brand pharmaceutical manufacturer trade secret claims related to the launch of OxyContin®.
Representative Commercial and Products Liability Matters
- Tried to judgment for international plaintiff breach of contract claims involving ethylene oxide supply contract.
- Tried to verdict for defendant steering gear manufacturer wrongful death products liability claim related to metallurgy and strength of materials issues.
- Tried to verdict (hung jury) for defendant Big Four automobile manufacturer wrongful death unwanted acceleration claim.
- Tried to verdict for defendant major life insurer claims involving vanishing premium, fraud and unfair trade practices.
- Tried to verdict for defendant Brown & Williamson case claiming wrongful death products liability claim related to tobacco and health issues.
- Tried to verdict for defendant disability insurer claims of breach of contract, bad faith and fraud.
Representative Appellate Matters
Fran has briefed and argued numerous appeals before the US Courts of Appeals for the Second and Seventh and Federal Circuits and the Connecticut Supreme and Appellate Courts. These appeals have concerned patent infringement and invalidity, supply contract issues involving world-wide high tech chemical processes, claims of fraud and unfair trade practices, products liability, medical malpractice, civil rights and tax exemption issues.
- Axinn Attorneys Named to Best Lawyers 2023
- Axinn Attorneys Named to Best Lawyers 2022
- Six Axinn Attorneys Named to Capital Pro Bono Honor Roll
- Axinn Attorneys Named to Best Lawyers 2021
- Chambers USA 2020 Recognizes Axinn Lawyers and Practice Groups
- Axinn Partners Named to Best Lawyers 2020
- Chambers USA 2019 Recognizes Axinn Lawyers and Practice Groups
- Axinn Obtains Substantial Recovery For Pro Bono Client
- Eight Axinn Partners Named to Best Lawyers 2019
- Chambers USA Recognizes Seven Axinn Partners
- The Connecticut Law Tribune Honors Two Axinn Attorneys
- Seven Axinn Partners Named to the 2018 List of Best Lawyers in America
- Six Axinn Partners Recognized by Chambers USA
- Six Axinn Partners Named to the 2017 List of Best Lawyers in America
- Seven Axinn Partners Recognized by Chambers USA
- Axinn Partners Named to the 2016 List of Best Lawyers in America
- Six Axinn Partners Ranked by Chambers USA
- Matt Becker, Jim Veltrop, John Briggs, Steve Axinn and Fran Morrison Named to the List of 2015 Best Lawyers in America
- Axinn Wins Preliminary Injunction for WEX Health (formerly known as Evolution1)
- Axinn Wins $16 Million Damages Award for Medical Device Client at Jury Trial in Delaware
- Axinn Honored With Litigation Department of the Year
- Axinn Partners Selected by Chambers USA
- Axinn Assisted Actavis in Resolving Ten-Year-Old Dispute with Pfizer
- Axinn Partners Again Ranked by Chambers
- Axinn Practice Groups, Attorneys Rank Highly in Chambers 2010 USA Release
- Axinn Wins Summary Judgment on Behalf of Mutual Pharmaceutical Company
- Axinn Ranked Among Top New York Law Firms by Chambers USA
- Law Article May Spark Patent Litigation Strategy
- Francis Morrison, William Rubenstein and Stephen Axinn included in the 25th anniversary edition of Best Lawyers in America
- IP Litigation: Fran Morrison Comments on Qualcomm Legal Issues in Wall Street Journal and The Recorder
- View More ›
- When a Claimed Trade Secret Isn't in Fact a Secret, Law360, June 7, 2022
- Member Spotlight: Francis H. Morrison, Voice of Experience, January 27, 2021
- When Japanese Witnesses Testify in U.S. Courts: Answers to Nine Common Concerns, January 2021
- Our Journey to Voting by Mail-In Ballot in North Carolina in 2020, Voice of Experience, December 16, 2020
- Seeking "Mens Sana in Corpore Sano" in a Pandemic, Voice of Experience, November 17, 2020
- 6 Lessons on Jury Advocacy in the Wake of a Crisis, Law360, May 11, 2020
- Power Attorneys Business Battlefields, Corporate Connecticut Magazine, 2004
- Cross Examination in the Psychology Case, Psychological Injuries at Trial, June 30, 2003
Seminars & Classes
- "Laboratory Corp. of America v. Chiron Corp. Past Injunction Procedure –Appeal of Injunction," The Twenty-Second Annual Joint Patent Practice Seminar, New York, NY, May 2006.
- Price Waterhouse Coopers Intellectual Property Seminar, held at Palm Springs, California, February 2005. Panelist and Speaker, "Critical Habits of Successful Trial Lawyers."
- JD, with Distinction – Duke University School of Law, Note and Comment Editor, Duke Law Journal
- AB – College of the Holy Cross, US Naval Officer School, Newport, RI
- District of Columbia
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- North Carolina
- US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- US District Court District of Columbia
- US District Court District of Connecticut
- US District Court District of Massachusetts
- US District Court Eastern District of New York
- US District Court Southern District of New York
- US Supreme Court