Don Wang’s Intellectual Property experience includes counseling technology companies with a focus on patent litigation in district courts, the International Trade Commission, and the Patent Trial and Appeal Board. He has also assisted health insurance and pharmaceutical companies in complex antitrust matters before U.S. federal courts.
Prior to joining Axinn, Don practiced in the Global Competition and Intellectual Property Litigation department of White & Case LLP. He earned his JD at the University of Washington School of Law. He holds a masters and undergraduate degree in Electrical Engineering from the University of Toronto.
Don is also a Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/US and CIPP/EU).
- In the Matter of Certain UMTS and LTE Cellular Communication Modules and Products Containing the Same, Inv. No. 337-TA-1240 (USITC) – Defense of Thales against the patent infringement action brought by Philips relating to 3G and 4G LTE wireless communication technology.
- Applied Materials, Inc. v. Ocean Semiconductor LLC (P.T.A.B.) – Representing petitioner Applied Materials in IPR proceedings relating to semiconductor manufacturing technology.
- TOT Power Control, S.L. v. Samsung Elecs. Co. Ltd. and Samsung Elecs. Am., Inc., 1:21-cv-01305 (D. Del.) – Defense of Samsung in patent infringement action relating to CDMA technology.
- In the Matter of Certain Electronic Devices, Including Computers, Tablet Computers, and Components and Modules Thereof, Inv. No. 337-TA-1208 (USITC) – Defense of Google (a full intervenor) in the patent action brought by Nokia against Lenovo relating to H.264 video encoding/decoding and smart device GUI technology.
- In re Loestrin 24 Fe Antitrust Litigation, 1:13-md-2472 (D.R.I) – Defense of a major U.S. drug manufacturer, Warner Chilcott (Allergan), against purchasers’ and retailer plaintiffs’ Sherman Act § 2 monopolization claims, including patent fraud and reverse payments allegations
- Synopsys, Inc. v. InnoGrit, Corp., 5:19-cv-2082 (N.D. Cal.) – Defense of a startup company InnoGrit against a chip-design software provider’s (Synopsys) claims of End User License Agreement violations and Digital Millennium Copyright Act violations
- Pro Bono – Provided legal representation to asylum-seekers detained in immigration detention centers under Southern Poverty Law Center's Southern Immigration Freedom Initiative
* Includes matters handled prior to joining Axinn
- Federal Circuit Reverses Course on ‘Appropriate Deference’ in Indefiniteness Determinations, Bloomberg Law, January 5, 2023
- Axinn IP Update: Federal Circuit Confirms That Prosecution Disclaimer Is Not Binding on the Patent Office in an Ongoing PTAB Proceeding But Will Bind Future Proceedings, November 18, 2022
- The Uncertain Future of Patent Indefiniteness Under Federal Circuit's Deference Standard, Bloomberg Law, May 6, 2022
- China’s New Privacy and Data Security Statutes Further Complicate U.S. Litigations, Mealey's Data Privacy Law Report and Mealey’s Litigation Report Discovery, February 2022
- Axinn IP Update: Federal Circuit Confirms That AAPA Cannot Be the Basis for IPRs, But Leaves the “Basis” Determination Question Open, Axinn Update, February 3, 2022
- Chinese Patent Law's Statutory Damages Provision: The One Size That Fits None, Washington International Law Journal, 2017
- End of the Parallel Between Patent Law's § 284 Willfulness and § 285 Exceptional Case Analysis, Washington International Law Journal, 2016
- Supreme People's Court Annual Report on Intellectual Property Cases (2014) (China), Washington International Law Journal, 2016
- Supreme People's Court Annual Report on Intellectual Property Cases (2013) (China), Washington International Law Journal, 2015
- JD – University of Washington School of Law (2016)
- MEng – University of Toronto (2013)
- BS – University of Toronto (2011)
- US District Court Northern District of California
- US District Court Western District of Texas