Whether successfully leading clients through complex multidistrict litigation cases or negotiating criminal fine reductions in the hundreds of millions of dollars, Rachel Adcox is a standout amongst antitrust practitioners. Her “creative, strategic, and innovative” litigation skills have been recognized three times in the last four years by Global Competition Review, most recently with 2021 and 2019 nominations for Litigator of the Year. In 2018, her work as lead counsel for multiple companies in the Auto Parts MDL earned her team a nomination for Litigation of the Year – Cartel Defence. Rachel has also been recognized by Chambers USA as an Antitrust Litigation Specialist and was named a 2020 Litigation Trailblazer by the National Law Journal.
The scope and significance of Rachel’s work is the best illustration of the trust that major corporations place in her skill and judgment. Beginning in 2018, Rachel was tapped by Tyson Foods, Inc. to lead its defense of four major treble-damage class action litigations, alleging industry-wide conspiracies affecting prices of broiler chickens, pork, and turkey. In 2019, Rachel achieved further success in the Auto Parts MDL by winning full dismissal of two separate cases, the first for her client as a non-U.S. parent company, and then for her client’s U.S. subsidiary. Rachel is also currently lead counsel for RelayHealth in a treble-damages class action alleging a conspiracy to monopolize electronic prescribing, and leads Alvogen’s defense of price-fixing allegations in the Generic Pharmaceuticals MDL.
Behind the scenes, Rachel is a trusted confidential adviser and advocate on cartel and compliance matters before U.S. and international enforcers. Prior to joining Axinn, she was a Trial Attorney at the Antitrust Division of the U.S. Department of Justice.
- American Bar Association Sections of Antitrust Law, Litigation, and Criminal Law
- Life Fellow of the American Bar Foundation
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- Maryland State Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- Currently lead counsel defending Tyson Foods in multiple major treble-damage class action litigations and regulatory investigations alleging industry-wide conspiracies to raise the prices of broiler chickens, pork, turkey, and beef, as well as a conspiracy to depress broiler grower pay.
- Currently lead counsel defending Alvogen Inc. in the sprawling Generic Drugs MDL, a suit alleging participation in an industry-wide conspiracy to raise prices of generic medications through the allocation of markets.
- Currently lead counsel for RelayHealth, a subsidiary of McKesson, in a treble-damages class action case alleging a conspiracy to monopolize electronic prescribing.
- Currently lead counsel for the Alliance for Safe Online Pharmacies in a treble-damages class action case alleging a conspiracy to prevent PharmacyChecker.com from accessing internet platforms.
- Currently representing multiple defendants in the Auto Parts class action MDL in Detroit, Michigan.
- As part of its long-standing representation of Independence Blue Cross of Pennsylvania (“IBC”), Axinn is currently defending IBC in the recently-filed class-action MDL against the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association and individual Blue Cross and Blue Shield plans. The lawsuit, which alleges primarily that the plans' designated service areas are anticompetitive, is the most important challenge to the Blue System in its 80-year history.
- Represented Redbox in actions challenging Disney’s sales and distribution practices.
- Represented a Japanese auto-parts company in connection with cartel investigations by the DOJ, the European Commission, and the Canadian Competition Bureau. Axinn negotiated significant reductions in the scope of the U.S. investigation and prevented any adverse action by foreign governmental authorities.
- Represented Yardi Systems, Inc., a provider of property management software, against antitrust and commercial tort claims brought by Entrata, Inc.
- Represented George's Foods in the successful defense of its acquisition of a Virginia poultry complex. The acquisition was challenged by the DOJ after consummation, but settled in George's favor prior to discovery.
- Represented a major poultry and livestock processor in a series of DOJ civil investigations of major agricultural corporations. In each case, Axinn was able to bring the matter to a conclusion without any significant document production or any corporate testimony.
- Appointed by the U.S. District Court of the District of Columbia, represented a union member in a Duty of Fair Representation suit against his union. In so doing, Ms. Adcox became one of only a handful of attorneys in the District to successfully litigate such a claim.
- In February of 2021, Rachel Adcox was nominated for Global Competition Review Litigator of the Year, an award given to “a competition litigator whose superior technical skill, practical judgement and excellence in serving clients in court in 2020 demonstrate that he or she is among the very best in the field.”
- Chambers USA – District of Columbia: Antitrust: Litigation Specialists (2019, 2020)
- Named to The National Law Journal’s list of Litigation Trailblazers (2020)
- In February of 2019, Rachel Adcox was nominated for Global Competition Review Litigator of the Year, an award given to “a competition litigator whose superior technical skill, practical judgement and excellence in serving clients in court in 2018 demonstrate that he or she is among the very best in the field.”
- Corporate Counsel Women, Influence & Power in Law Honoree: Law Firm Women’s Legal Awards Category (2019)
In February of 2018, Axinn was nominated for Global Competition Review Litigation of the Year – Cartel Defence for its work on behalf of Nishikawa Rubber Company in the Auto Parts litigation. This award recognizes “creative, strategic and innovative litigation on behalf of a defendant in a private action for cartel damages.”
- Who’s Who Legal: Competition Future Leaders (2018, 2019, 2020)
- Named to "Women Worth Watching 2017" by Profiles in Diversity Journal
- Vice Chair of the ABA Antitrust Section's Competition Torts Committee (2015 – 2017)
- Law clerk to the Honorable Peter B. Krauser, Chief Judge of the Maryland Court of Special Appeals (2007-2008)
- GCR Nominates Axinn for Firm of the Year and Litigator of the Year
- Rachel Adcox Named a Litigation Trailblazer by The National Law Journal
- Who's Who Legal Recognizes Eleven Axinn Attorneys
- Axinn’s Antitrust Practice Nationally Ranked by The Legal 500 United States for 2020
- Chambers USA 2020 Recognizes Axinn Lawyers and Practice Groups
- Axinn Partner Rachel Adcox Named Corporate Counsel Women, Influence & Power in Law Honoree
- Axinn Secures Dismissal of Class Action Conspiracy Claims for Tyson Foods
- Who's Who Legal Recognizes Eight Axinn Attorneys
- Axinn’s Antitrust Practice Nationally Ranked by The Legal 500 United States
- Chambers USA 2019 Recognizes Axinn Lawyers and Practice Groups
- Global Competition Review Nominates Rachel Adcox for Litigator of the Year
- Axinn Wins Motion to Dismiss on Behalf of Friedrich Boysen GmbH & Co. KG
- Who's Who Legal Recognizes Seven Axinn Attorneys
- Axinn Receives GCR Award Nomination for Cartel Representation
- Rachel Adcox Named One of Diversity Journal's Women Worth Watching
- The Class of 2014
- Axinn Promotes Rachel Adcox and John Tanski to Partner; Thomas Hedemann to Counsel
- Axinn Attorneys Honored for Significant Pro Bono Service
- Getting Your Best Outcome Post-AU Optronics: Pay No Attention to That Case Behind The Curtain
- View More ›
- The 2020 Axinn Survey of U.S. Litigation Involving Japanese Companies, November 2020
- Making It Rain: Rachel Adcox, ABA Law Practice Today, August 14, 2020
- The 2019 Axinn Survey of U.S. Litigation Involving Japanese Companies, March 2020
- Axinn Insights on U.S. Litigation for Japanese Companies: The Duty to Preserve Documents and Implement Litigation Holds in U.S. Civil Litigation, August 19, 2019
- Chapter on Non-Prosecutorial Activities, DOJ Civil Antitrust Practice and Procedure Manual, 2018
- EU's €2.9B Truck Cartel Fines Pave Way For Damage Suits, Law360, July 19, 2016
- Truck Makers Fined by Brussels for Price Collusion, The Guardian, July 19, 2016
- Multistate Indirect Purchaser Class Actions: Using Consumer Protection Statutes to Hurdle the Illinois Brick Wall, Competition Torts News, March 15, 2016
- Closing at Your Peril: Post-Consummation Merger Challenges, The Threshold, Summer 2012
- Getting Your Best Outcome Post-AU Optronics: Pay No Attention to That Case Behind The Curtain, Antitrust, July 24, 2012
- When the Case Is Over: A Tunney Act Primer for Defendants, ABA, Young Lawyers, December 31, 2011
- Women in Antitrust Brazil Webinar: Failing Firm Theory
- ABA Cartel and Criminal Practice: Bi-Monthly Criminal Antitrust Update
- GCR Live: 3rd Annual Women in Antitrust Program
- Corporate Counsel Women, Influence & Power in Law Awards
- So You Thought You Settled: A Guide to U.S. Class Actions
- 2018 Centerforce Women, Diversity & Change Summit
- ABA 66th Annual Section of Antitrust Law Spring Meeting
- Observations from a U.S. Jury Trial
- Big Data and U.S. Antitrust Policy
- Regulatory Review of Joint Ventures Between Competitors in the U.S.
- U.S. Criminal Antitrust Enforcement: An Update
- ABA 64th Annual Section of Antitrust Law Spring Meeting
- ABA Monthly Antitrust Update Program For In-House Counsel February 2016
- Multistate Indirect Purchaser Class Actions: Using Consumer Protection Statutes to Hurdle the Illinois Brick Wall
- The FTAIA Before the Supreme Court – Recent Developments in International Antitrust
- JD, with Honors – The George Washington University Law School (2007)
- BS, with High Honors – Michigan State University (1996)
- District of Columbia
- US District Court Northern District of Illinois
- US Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- US District Court District of Columbia
- US District Court District of Colorado
- US District Court Eastern District of Michigan
- US District Court Maryland
- US Supreme Court
- US Judicial Panel on Multi-District Litigation
2021 GCR Nomination for Litigator of the Year
National Law Journal Litigation Trailblazer 2020
"'Rachel Adcox is an outstanding lawyer' who is 'unequivocal and clear in her thoughts,'
according to sources. She is an 'excellent defence lawyer' in multidistrict and criminal antitrust litigation."
– Who's Who Legal Future Leaders 2019
2019 Corporate Counsel Honoree: Women, Influence & Power in Law