Rachel Adcox is a standout amongst antitrust practitioners, whether leading clients through complex multidistrict litigation cases or negotiating successful resolutions to criminal and civil matters. Prior to joining Axinn, Rachel was a Trial Attorney at the Antitrust Division of the U.S. Department of Justice.
Rachel's work in groundbreaking litigation demonstrates the trust that her clients place in her skill and judgment. Her unique combination of government and defense-side experience allows her to assist clients with a full range of antitrust issues, including corporate counseling, mergers, internal investigations, civil non-merger and criminal cartel investigations and litigation. In each of these areas, Rachel is known for providing practical options for her clients based on their specialized needs and business goals. Currently, Rachel is lead counsel for Tyson Foods in multiple consolidated antitrust class action cases, lead counsel for multiple defendants in the Auto Parts class action multi-district litigation, and co-lead counsel for Independence Blue Cross in the largest class action case in the U.S.
Behind the scenes, Rachel is a trusted confidential adviser and advocate in international cartel and compliance matters before international enforcers such as the Department of Justice, the European Commission, the Canadian Competition Bureau, and the Japan Fair Trade Commission.
- Law360 Competition Editorial Advisory Board (2018)
- Vice-Chair – Competition Torts Committee, American Bar Association Section of Antitrust Law (2015 – 2017)
- Life Fellow of the American Bar Foundation
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- Maryland State Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- Currently lead counsel for Tyson Foods in a consolidated treble-damages class action case alleging an industry-wide conspiracy to manipulate the price of broiler chickens.
- Currently lead counsel for RelayHealth, a subsidiary of McKesson, in a treble-damages class action case alleging a conspiracy to monopolize electronic prescribing.
- Currently lead counsel for Tyson Foods in a consolidated treble-damages class action case alleging an industry-wide conspiracy to manipulate the price of pork by collectively reducing output.
- Currently lead counsel for the Alliance for Safe Online Pharmacies in a treble-damages class action case alleging a conspiracy to prevent PharmacyChecker.com from accessing internet platforms.
- Currently representing multiple defendants in the Auto Parts class action MDL in Detroit, Michigan.
- Currently lead counsel for Tyson Foods in a treble-damages class action case alleging a conspiracy to depress pay for broiler growers.
- As part of its long-standing representation of Independence Blue Cross of Pennsylvania (“IBC”), Axinn is currently defending IBC in the recently-filed class-action MDL against the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association and individual Blue Cross and Blue Shield plans. The lawsuit, which alleges primarily that the plans' designated service areas are anticompetitive, is the most important challenge to the Blue System in its 80-year history.
- Represented Redbox in actions challenging Disney’s sales and distribution practices.
- Represented a Japanese auto-parts company in connection with cartel investigations by the DOJ, the European Commission, and the Canadian Competition Bureau. Axinn negotiated significant reductions in the scope of the U.S. investigation and prevented any adverse action by foreign governmental authorities.
- Represented Yardi Systems, Inc., a provider of property management software, against antitrust and commercial tort claims brought by Entrata, Inc.
- Represented George's Foods in the successful defense of its acquisition of a Virginia poultry complex. The acquisition was challenged by the DOJ after consummation, but settled in George's favor prior to discovery.
- Represented a major poultry and livestock processor in a series of DOJ civil investigations of major agricultural corporations. In each case, Axinn was able to bring the matter to a conclusion without any significant document production or any corporate testimony.
- Appointed by the U.S. District Court of the District of Columbia, represented a union member in a Duty of Fair Representation suit against his union. In so doing, Ms. Adcox became one of only a handful of attorneys in the District to successfully litigate such a claim.
- Chambers USA – District of Columbia: Antitrust: Litigation Specialists (2019)
- In February of 2019, Rachel Adcox was nominated for Global Competition Review Litigator of the Year, an award given to “a competition litigator whose superior technical skill, practical judgement and excellence in serving clients in court in 2018 demonstrate that he or she is among the very best in the field.”
- Corporate Counsel Women, Influence & Power in Law Honoree: Law Firm Women’s Legal Awards Category (2019)
In February of 2018, Axinn was nominated for Global Competition Review Litigation of the Year – Cartel Defence for its work on behalf of Nishikawa Rubber Company in the Auto Parts litigation. This award recognizes “creative, strategic and innovative litigation on behalf of a defendant in a private action for cartel damages.”
- Who’s Who Legal: Competition Future Leaders (2018, 2019)
- Named to "Women Worth Watching 2017" by Profiles in Diversity Journal
- Vice Chair of the ABA Antitrust Section's Competition Torts Committee (2015 – 2017)
- Law clerk to the Honorable Peter B. Krauser, Chief Judge of the Maryland Court of Special Appeals (2007-2008)
- Axinn Partner Rachel Adcox Named Corporate Counsel Women, Influence & Power in Law Honoree
- Axinn Secures Dismissal of Class Action Conspiracy Claims for Tyson Foods
- Who's Who Legal Recognizes Eight Axinn Attorneys
- Axinn’s Antitrust Practice Nationally Ranked by The Legal 500 United States
- Chambers USA Recognizes Axinn Lawyers and Practice Groups
- Global Competition Review Nominates Rachel Adcox for Litigator of the Year
- Axinn Wins Motion to Dismiss on Behalf of Friedrich Boysen GmbH & Co. KG
- Who's Who Legal Recognizes Seven Axinn Attorneys
- Axinn Receives GCR Award Nomination for Cartel Representation
- Axinn Attorneys Named in Super Lawyers 2017
- Rachel Adcox Named One of Diversity Journal's Women Worth Watching
- Axinn Attorneys Named in Super Lawyers 2016
- Axinn Attorneys Named in Super Lawyers 2015
- The Class of 2014
- Axinn Promotes Rachel Adcox and John Tanski to Partner; Thomas Hedemann to Counsel
- Axinn Attorneys Honored for Significant Pro Bono Service
- Getting Your Best Outcome Post-AU Optronics: Pay No Attention to That Case Behind The Curtain
- View More ›
- Axinn Insights on U.S. Litigation for Japanese Companies: The Duty to Preserve Documents and Implement Litigation Holds in U.S. Civil Litigation, August 19, 2019
- Chapter on Non-Prosecutorial Activities, DOJ Civil Antitrust Practice and Procedure Manual, 2018
- EU's €2.9B Truck Cartel Fines Pave Way For Damage Suits, Law360, July 19, 2016
- Truck Makers Fined by Brussels for Price Collusion, The Guardian, July 19, 2016
- Multistate Indirect Purchaser Class Actions: Using Consumer Protection Statutes to Hurdle the Illinois Brick Wall, Competition Torts News, March 15, 2016
- Closing at Your Peril: Post-Consummation Merger Challenges, The Threshold, Summer 2012
- Getting Your Best Outcome Post-AU Optronics: Pay No Attention to That Case Behind The Curtain, Antitrust, July 24, 2012
- When the Case Is Over: A Tunney Act Primer for Defendants, ABA, Young Lawyers, December 31, 2011
- ABA Cartel and Criminal Practice: Bi-Monthly Criminal Antitrust Update
- GCR Live: 3rd Annual Women in Antitrust Program
- Corporate Counsel Women, Influence & Power in Law Awards
- So You Thought You Settled: A Guide to U.S. Class Actions
- 2018 Centerforce Women, Diversity & Change Summit
- ABA 66th Annual Section of Antitrust Law Spring Meeting
- Observations from a U.S. Jury Trial
- Big Data and U.S. Antitrust Policy
- Regulatory Review of Joint Ventures Between Competitors in the U.S.
- U.S. Criminal Antitrust Enforcement: An Update
- ABA 64th Annual Section of Antitrust Law Spring Meeting
- ABA Monthly Antitrust Update Program For In-House Counsel February 2016
- Multistate Indirect Purchaser Class Actions: Using Consumer Protection Statutes to Hurdle the Illinois Brick Wall
- The FTAIA Before the Supreme Court – Recent Developments in International Antitrust
- JD, with Honors – The George Washington University Law School (2007)
- BS, with High Honors – Michigan State University (1996)
- District of Columbia
- US District Court Northern District of Illinois
- US Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- US District Court District of Columbia
- US District Court Eastern District of Michigan
- US District Court Maryland
- US Supreme Court
2019 GCR Nomination for Litigator of the Year
"'Rachel Adcox is an outstanding lawyer' who is 'unequivocal and clear in her thoughts,'
according to sources. She is an 'excellent defence lawyer' in multidistrict and criminal antitrust litigation."
– Who's Who Legal Future Leaders 2019
2019 Corporate Counsel Honoree: Women, Influence & Power in Law