Over the course of his 19 years at Axinn, Mike Keeley has obtained antitrust clearance for large and complex strategic mergers, tried monopolization and patent jury cases, arbitrated international commercial disputes and, most importantly, developed relationships with some of the best companies in the world. Clients value Mike's business-oriented approach to transactions and commercial disputes and his ability and willingness to give quick and clear guidance. A substantial part of Mike's work involves the intersection of antitrust and intellectual property.
Mike's recent antitrust work on strategic transactions includes Dell’s $67 billion acquisition of EMC; Interactive Data Corporation’s $5 billion acquisition by Intercontinental Exchange Inc.; Thermo Fisher Scientific's $13.6 billion acquisition of Life Technologies; SunGard in its $9 billion sale to Fidelity National; Tyler Technologies in its acquisition of New World Systems; A&P in its acquisition of Pathmark Stores; Take-Two Interactive Software in Electronic Arts' hostile bid for Take-Two; GameStop's acquisition of Electronics Boutique; Harcourt, Inc.'s acquisition by Reed Elsevier and Thomson.
Where mergers have been challenged, Mike has tried and prevailed in multiple cases, including: the Antitrust Division's challenge to SunGard/Comdisco; the Antitrust Division's challenge to the sale by Tyson Foods of a poultry processing complex to George's Foods, and the City of New York's challenge to the combination of health insurers GHI and HIP to form Emblem Health.
Mike also has litigated and tried to a jury or a court a range of antitrust cases around the country involving claims of monopolization, anti-competitive agreements and unlawful acquisitions.
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Thomas J. Meskill, US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit (1995–1996)
- Co-Chair, Mergers & Acquisitions Committee, American Bar Association Section of Antitrust Law (2018–present)
- Vice-Chair, Mergers & Acquisitions Committee, American Bar Association Section of Antitrust Law (2015–2018)
- Member of American Bar Association Section of Antitrust Law's Task Force on Foreign Investment (2013–2015)
- Co-Editor: The Threshold, American Bar Association Section of Antitrust Law, Mergers & Acquisitions Committee
Super Lawyers, Washington, DC (2014-2018)
- Axinn Attorneys Named in Super Lawyers 2018
- Axinn Attorneys Named in Super Lawyers 2017
- Axinn Representing Silver Lake Partners LP in IMG/Learfield Merger
- GCR Nominates Axinn for Litigation of the Year, Deal of the Year and Dealmaker of the Year
- Axinn Represents Stanley Black & Decker in its Purchase of the Craftsman Brand from Sears Holdings
- Axinn Secures Antitrust Clearance for McKesson’s Transaction with Change Healthcare to Form $3.4 Billion New Healthcare Information Technology Company
- Axinn Attorneys Named in Super Lawyers 2016
- Axinn Represents Dell in $60 Billion Acquisition of EMC
- Axinn Obtains FTC Clearance for Dell’s $67B Acquisition of EMC
- Axinn Represents Tyler Technologies, Inc. in its Acquisition of New World Systems Corporation
- Axinn Successfully Represents Alvogen Before FTC
- Axinn Represents IDC in $5.2B Acquisition by ICE
- Axinn is Lead Antitrust Counsel in Dell’s $67B Acquisition of EMC
- Axinn Represents Alvogen Before FTC in Connection with Divested Products from Pfizer and Hospira
- Axinn Attorneys Named in Super Lawyers 2015
- Axinn Nominated for Global M&A Deal of the Year by Atlas Awards
- Axinn Attorneys Named in Super Lawyers 2014
- FTC Approves Final Order for Thermo Fisher's $13.6 Billion Acquisition of Life Technologies
- Axinn Obtains Global Antitrust Clearance for Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.’s $13.6 billion Acquisition
- GCR Rates Axinn's Antitrust Practice as "Highly Recommended"
- Axinn Serves as Lead Antitrust Counsel for Ecolab in $2.2 Billion Acquisition
- Axinn Obtains Antitrust Clearance for $1.775 Billion Combination of SunGard Higher Education and Datatel, Inc.
- Axinn Assisted Actavis in Resolving Ten-Year-Old Dispute with Pfizer
- Axinn Partner Michael Keeley Speaks To Reuters on NBA Antitrust Lawsuit
- Axinn Represents Omnicare Inc. in Proposed Acquisition of PharMerica Corp.
- Axinn Wins in 2nd Circuit GHI HIP Merger
- Axinn Partners Again Ranked by Chambers
- Axinn represents George's in DOJ lawsuit
- Axinn Wins ICC Arbitration on Behalf of Major European Airframe Manufacturer
- Axinn Practice Groups, Attorneys Rank Highly in Chambers 2010 USA Release
- The International Legal Alliance Recognizes Axinn as One of the Top Antitrust Firms in the U.S.
- Axinn Recognized Among the Best Antitrust Practices in NY by Global Competition Review Magazine
- Axinn Ranked Among Top New York Law Firms by Chambers USA
- Michael Keeley and Chad Landmon discuss FDA's recent 180-day exclusivity decisions with FDAnews
- FDAnews Audioconference -- Navigating the FDA's New 180-Day Generic Marketing Exclusivity Rulings
- Mike Keeley in Reuters: "Most presidential hopefuls antitrust moderates"
- Global Competition Review Ranks Axinn's Antitrust Practice Among Best in New York
- Chambers USA Ranks Axinn Among Top New York Law Firms
- Axinn Obtains Antitrust Clearance for Rent-Way, Inc.'s $567 Million Acquisition by Rent-A-Center
- Axinn Makes Top 20 U.S. Deal Firms by The Deal
- Axinn Wins Dismissal of Yeshiva University from Antitrust Conspiracy Class Action
- Axinn Represents Purepac Pharmaceutical Company in Metformin Launch
- Axinn Represents Harcourt General in Sale to Reed Elsevier and Thomson Corporation
- Axinn Represents Sungard Data Systems Inc. in Acquisition of Availability Solutions Business of Comdisco Inc.
- New York State Attorney General’s Office Retains Axinn
- View More ›
- Amazon Profits Fall Far Short of Expectations, But Investors Shrug, The New York Times, July 26, 2017
- Baker Hughes Lays Out Cost Cuts, Buybacks After Halliburton Deal Dies, May 2, 2016
- Big Five? Alaska Airlines to Acquire Virgin America, Global Competition Review, April 5, 2016
- Alaska Air to Buy Virgin America, Stripping California of its Only Major Airline, Los Angeles Times, April 4, 2016
- AMC's Carmike Buy Sharpens Focus On Rivals' Film Access, Law360, March 4, 2016
- Brussels Launches Antitrust Investigation Into Amazon, Financial Times, June 11, 2015
- Sysco Tries to Salvage Merger With US Foods, Nation's Restaurant News, May 11, 2015
- Two Probes Proved Too Much for Comcast, The Wall Street Journal, April 23, 2015
- Staples Agrees to Buy Office Depot, FTC Approval Seen Likely, Reuters, February 4, 2015
- Staples and Office Depot Say a Merger Will Keep Them Competitive, The New York Times, February 4, 2015
- FTC May Eye Corporate Sales In A Staples-Office Depot Deal, Law360, February 3, 2015
- Staples, Office Depot Expect Second Time a Charm in Merger, Reuters, February 3, 2015
- Dollar General Cites Regulatory Hurdles to Bid for Family Dollar, The Wall Street Journal, January 22, 2015
- Starboard Asks Staples to Merge with Office Depot, Reuters, January 20, 2015
- Dollar General Hits Do-Or-Die Point In $9B Hunt For Rival, Law360, January 13, 2015
- Family Dollar FTC Antitrust Concerns Supported by Pricing Study, Bloomberg, September 17, 2014
- Bidding War Breaks Out to Dominate Dollar Stores, The Wall Street Journal, August 18, 2014
- Dollar General/Family Dollar a Tougher Antitrust Sell, Observers Say, Global Competition Review, August 18, 2014
- Michael Keeley Interviewed for Law360's Q&A, Law360, April 30, 2013
- Trends in FTC Merger Enforcement: Assessing the Most Recent Data, The Threshold, Spring 2009
- Club Dues, The Deal, October 10, 2006
- Freedom from Filing: The FTC Should Reconsider Investor Activism under the Hart-Scott-Rodino Act, The Deal, February 6, 2006
- "Schering" Overruled: Risk of Settling Patent Suits Reduced?, New York Law Journal, April 7, 2005
- Merger Review and Litigation Involving the Acquisition of Bankrupt Companies, ANTITRUST, Summer 2002
- Resolving Complex Antitrust Cases Promptly, Icarus, Summer 2002
- Understand Foreign Pre-Merger Filings, New York Law Journal, 1999
Trends in FTC Merger Enforcement: Assessing the Most Recent Data, The Threshold: ABA Section of Antitrust Law, Spring 2009
Antitrust Issues in IP Licensing, NY, NY, November 13, 2007
Club Dues, The Deal, October 10, 2006
Freedom from Filing: The FTC Should Reconsider Investor Activism under the Hart-Scott-Rodino Act, The Deal, February 6, 2006
"Schering" Overruled: Risk of Settling Patent Suits Reduced?, N.Y.L.J., April 7, 2005
- Disrupting the Disruptors: A Fresh Look at Global Merger Review Involving Tech Sectors
- Monopolization v. Dominance: US v. EU?
- ABA Section of Antitrust Law State AG Merger Enforcement
- Why Staples May Be Allowed to Buy Office Depot
- Should the DOJ have Challenged the US Airways/American Airlines Merger?
- Poultry Merger Reviews: When Can Birds of a Feather Flock Together?
- JD, cum laude – Fordham University School of Law (1995)
- BS, with Honors – Fordham University (1992)
- District of Columbia
- New York
- US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- US District Court District of Columbia
- US District Court Southern District of New York
- US Supreme Court