Mark Alexander’s practice focuses on antitrust including litigation, merger clearance and antitrust counseling; complex commercial litigation; and trademark/copyright litigation.
In antitrust, Mark has handled antitrust aspects of dozens of mergers and acquisitions in a host of industries, including wireless and wireline telecommunications, pharmaceuticals, medical devices, oil & gas, oil exploration services, consumer products, mining and minerals, insurance brokerages and business services. His antitrust litigation experience has included representing a corporate plaintiff in a challenge to attempted monopolization in the chemicals industry under Section 2 of the Sherman Act, defending a media merger from a private party challenge under Section 7 of the Clayton Act and defending advertising industry trade group activities from a challenge under Section 1 of the Sherman Act.
Mark has litigated and arbitrated a wide range of complex commercial disputes before courts and arbitrators across the United States. Over the last few years, he has handled several disputes under the Uniform Commercial Code concerning supply agreements in the chemicals industry. Mark’s other commercial litigation and arbitration experience includes a contract dispute among international investment consortium members, a dispute involving oil and gas exploration rights and an arbitration involving specialized software for the higher education industry.
In intellectual property litigation, Mark has represented clients in the consumer health products and tool industries in disputes involving alleged trademark rights to the use of particular color schemes in trade dress. Other trademark experience includes representing the buyer of a business in a dispute over whether the businesses’ purchased goodwill allowed the buyer to claim its predecessor’s corporate history and representing a manufacturer in a dispute concerning its ability to utilize an industrial quality mark. Mark’s copyright experience includes litigating several disputes concerning infringement of commercial illustrations.
Prior to joining the firm, Mark practiced in the New York and London offices of Sullivan & Cromwell LLP.
- American Bar Association, Section of Antitrust Law
- Connecticut Bar Association
- Best Lawyers in America (2018 & 2019)
- Symposium Editor, Cornell Law Review. Honors: American Jurisprudence Awards in Civil Procedure, Criminal Law and Torts
- Nine Axinn Partners Named to Best Lawyers 2019
- Axinn helps Johnson Controls Secure Global Antitrust Clearance for its $2 billion Sale of Scott Safety to 3M
- Eight Axinn Partners Named to the 2018 List of Best Lawyers in America
- Axinn Represents Thermo Fisher in $7.2 Billion Acquisition of Patheon
- Axinn Represents Johnson Controls International in the $2 Billion Sale of its Scott Safety Business to 3M
- Axinn Represents McKesson in its $1.4 Billion Acquisition of CoverMyMeds LLC
- Axinn Secures Global Antitrust Clearance for Ball’s Acquisition of Rexam
- Axinn Represents Thermo Fisher in $4.2 Billion Acquisition of FEI
- Axinn Represents Charles River Laboratories in $585M Acquisition of WIL Research
- Axinn Represents Thermo Fisher in $1.3B Acquisition of Affymetrix
- Axinn Nominated for Global M&A Deal of the Year by Atlas Awards
- Axinn Acts as Global Coordinating Antitrust Counsel for Ball’s $6.85 Billion Acquisition of Rexam
- Axinn Obtains Fourth Circuit Victory in Generic Celebrex® Case
- FTC Approves Final Order for Thermo Fisher's $13.6 Billion Acquisition of Life Technologies
- Connecticut Supreme Court Unanimously Affirms Summary Judgment for Axinn Client
- Axinn Obtains Global Antitrust Clearance for Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.’s $13.6 billion Acquisition
- GCR 100 Ranks Axinn as "Highly Recommended"
- Axinn Obtains Summary Judgment Victory Against FDA
- Axinn Serves as Lead Antitrust Counsel for Ecolab in $2.2 Billion Acquisition
- Axinn Obtains Antitrust Clearance for $1.775 Billion Combination of SunGard Higher Education and Datatel, Inc.
- Axinn Wins Another Appeal for Brown & Brown
- Mark Alexander Speaks to Bloomberg News About Antitrust Concerns and Winning Holder Approval of Nasdaq Bid for NYSE
- Axinn Represents INEOS in U.S. Litigation
- Axinn Serving as Patent Counsel for ADHD and Pain Relief Medications
- Axinn Counsels BellSouth and Cingular in Acquisition of AT&T Wireless
- View More ›
- United States: Mergers, The Antitrust Review of the Americas 2019, September 24, 2018
- Navigating the Jurisdiction of American Courts, February 2018
- United States: Mergers, The Antitrust Review of the Americas 2018, September 8, 2017
- Durbin Amendment Rules To Pare "Anticompetitive" Debit Card Interchange Fees, ABA, Section of Antitrust Law, Spring 2011
- Antitrust's New Big Brother: Feds Can Now Wiretap Suspected Offenders, American Bar Association, Section of Business Law, July 1, 2006
- Second Circuit Puts Antitrust Conspiracy's Skeletal Pleading Rules on a Diet, The Antitrust Source, March 2006
- Increased Scrutiny for the Administrative Crime, 77 Cornell L. Rev. 612, 1992
- "Antitrust for Business Lawyers"
- "Frequently Encountered Antitrust Ethics Situations"
- "Everything You Say Can and May Be Used Against You! Tips for Sharing Privileged and Competitively Sensitive Information During the Due Diligence Process"
- "What is 'Real' Competition in Telecom? The Antitrust Significance of UNE-P"
- JD, cum laude – Cornell Law School (1992)
- BA – Indiana University (1989)
- New York
- US Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- US District Court District of Connecticut
- US District Court Southern District of New York