With more than 20 years at Axinn, Mark Alexander provides sophisticated and practical counsel on complex antitrust issues. His practice focuses on antitrust merger clearance, litigation and counseling.
Mark has handled antitrust aspects of dozens of mergers and acquisitions in a host of industries, including life sciences, wireless and wireline telecommunications, pharmaceuticals, medical devices, oil & gas, oil exploration services, consumer products, mining and minerals, insurance brokerages and business services. His antitrust litigation experience has included representing a corporate plaintiff in a challenge to attempted monopolization in the chemicals industry under Section 2 of the Sherman Act, defending a media merger from a private party challenge under Section 7 of the Clayton Act and defending advertising industry trade group activities from a challenge under Section 1 of the Sherman Act.
Mark has litigated and arbitrated a wide range of complex commercial disputes before courts and arbitrators across the United States. He has handled several disputes under the Uniform Commercial Code concerning supply agreements in the chemicals industry. Mark’s other commercial litigation and arbitration experience includes a contract dispute among international investment consortium members, a dispute involving oil and gas exploration rights and an arbitration involving specialized software for the higher education industry.
Prior to joining the firm, Mark practiced in the New York and London offices of Sullivan & Cromwell LLP.
- American Bar Association, Section of Antitrust Law
- Connecticut Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Thermo Fisher Scientific in its $13.6 billion acquisition of Life Technologies
- Thermo Fisher Scientific in its $12.5 billion tender offer for QIAGEN N.V.
- Johnson Controls in the $2 billion sale of its Scott Safety business to 3M
- Thermo Fisher Scientific in its $7.2 billion acquisition of Patheon N.V.
- McKesson in its $1.4 billion acquisition of CoverMyMeds LLC
- Ball Corporation in its $6.85 billion acquisition of Rexam PLC
- Thermo Fisher Scientific in its $4.2 billion acquisition of FEI Company
- Charles River Laboratories International, Inc. in its $585 million acquisition of WIL Research
- Thermo Fisher Scientific in its $1.3 billion acquisition of Affymetrix
- SunGard Higher Education in its $1.77 billion sale of SunGard Higher Education to Datatel
- Cingular in its $41 billion acquisition of AT&T Wireless
Obtained a victory in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit that helped Watson Laboratories (now Actavis), speed its generic version of Celebrex® to market
Successfully briefed and argued an appeal on behalf of national insurance broker Brown & Brown, winning unanimous affirmance in the Connecticut Supreme Court of summary judgment on all claims brought by Blumberg Associates Worldwide
Secured summary judgment on behalf of Watson Laboratories, Inc. in litigation against the U.S. Food and Drug Administration in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- Best Lawyers in America (2018 – 2023)
- Symposium Editor, Cornell Law Review. Honors: American Jurisprudence Awards in Civil Procedure, Criminal Law and Torts
- Axinn Attorneys Named to Best Lawyers 2023
- Axinn Advised Thermo Fisher on $1.85B Acquisition of PeproTech, Inc.
- Axinn Attorneys Named to Best Lawyers 2022
- Axinn Attorneys Named to Best Lawyers 2021
- Axinn Advised Thermo Fisher on $12.5B Acquisition of QIAGEN
- Axinn Partners Named to Best Lawyers 2020
- Eight Axinn Partners Named to Best Lawyers 2019
- Axinn Helps Johnson Controls Secure Global Antitrust Clearance for its $2 Billion Sale of Scott Safety to 3M
- Seven Axinn Partners Named to the 2018 List of Best Lawyers in America
- Axinn Represents Thermo Fisher in $7.2 Billion Acquisition of Patheon
- Axinn Represented Johnson Controls International in the $2 Billion Sale of its Scott Safety Business to 3M
- Axinn Represented McKesson in its $1.4 Billion Acquisition of CoverMyMeds LLC
- Axinn Secures Global Antitrust Clearance for Ball’s Acquisition of Rexam
- Axinn Represents Thermo Fisher in $4.2 Billion Acquisition of FEI
- Axinn Represents Charles River Laboratories in $585M Acquisition of WIL Research
- Axinn Represents Thermo Fisher in $1.3B Acquisition of Affymetrix
- Axinn Nominated for Global M&A Deal of the Year by Atlas Awards
- Axinn Acts as Global Coordinating Antitrust Counsel for Ball’s $6.85 Billion Acquisition of Rexam
- Axinn Obtains Fourth Circuit Victory in Generic Celebrex® Case
- FTC Approves Final Order for Thermo Fisher's $13.6 Billion Acquisition of Life Technologies
- Connecticut Supreme Court Unanimously Affirms Summary Judgment for Axinn Client
- Axinn Obtains Global Antitrust Clearance for Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.’s $13.6 billion Acquisition
- GCR 100 Ranks Axinn as "Highly Recommended"
- Axinn Obtains Summary Judgment Victory Against FDA
- Axinn Serves as Lead Antitrust Counsel for Ecolab in $2.2 Billion Acquisition
- Axinn Obtains Antitrust Clearance for $1.775 Billion Combination of SunGard Higher Education and Datatel, Inc.
- Axinn Wins Another Appeal for Brown & Brown
- Mark Alexander Speaks to Bloomberg News About Antitrust Concerns and Winning Holder Approval of Nasdaq Bid for NYSE
- Axinn Represents INEOS in U.S. Litigation
- Axinn Serving as Patent Counsel for ADHD and Pain Relief Medications
- Axinn Counsels BellSouth and Cingular in Acquisition of AT&T Wireless
- View More ›
- United States: Mergers, The Antitrust Review of the Americas 2019, September 24, 2018
- United States: Mergers, The Antitrust Review of the Americas 2018, September 8, 2017
- Durbin Amendment Rules To Pare "Anticompetitive" Debit Card Interchange Fees, ABA, Section of Antitrust Law, Spring 2011
- Antitrust's New Big Brother: Feds Can Now Wiretap Suspected Offenders, American Bar Association, Section of Business Law, July 1, 2006
- Second Circuit Puts Antitrust Conspiracy's Skeletal Pleading Rules on a Diet, The Antitrust Source, March 2006
- Increased Judicial Scrutiny for the Administrative Crime, Cornell Law Review, March 1992
- CBA Section of Business Law Meeting 2005
- ABA Section of Antitrust Law Spring Meeting 2004
- Everything You Say Can and May Be Used Against You! Tips for Sharing Privileged and Competitively Sensitive Information During the Due Diligence Process
- What is "Real" Competition in Telecom? The Antitrust Significance of UNE-P
- JD, cum laude – Cornell Law School (1992)
- BA – Indiana University (1989)
- New York
- US Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- US District Court District of Connecticut
- US District Court Southern District of New York