Jeny Maier guides major corporations through large, strategic M&A transactions, using her significant experience to advise on pre-merger notification requirements and substantive competitive issues. Jeny helps clients navigate antitrust issues throughout the life cycle of a transaction, from initial risk analysis and due diligence, to negotiating merger agreement terms, through antitrust agency review, investigation and, where needed, remedies. She also regularly counsels clients who are third parties contacted by the antitrust agencies in connection with merger investigations. Described in Who’s Who Legal as a “great competition lawyer with strong expertise in merger cases” and the “knowledge and ability to provide clear and prescient insight” in to the competition world, Jeny is a sought-after antitrust advocate.
In addition to her deal work, Jeny also has considerable experience assisting clients with responding to civil and criminal antitrust investigations, and defending related class-action litigation. Jeny also advises clients on antitrust issues relating to pricing practices, distribution and marketing arrangements, intellectual property license agreements, and standard setting activities.
Jeny works with clients in a variety of industries, including health care, pharmaceuticals, technology, manufacturing, telecommunications, and transportation. She has worked on a number of major deals in these industries, including McKesson's $3.4 billion joint venture with Change Healthcare; Dell’s $67 billion acquisition of EMC; Johnson Controls International $2 billion sale of its Scott Safety business to 3M; and Stanley Black & Decker’s $900 million purchase of the Craftsman brand from Sears Holdings.
Jeny has been named a "Future Leader" in competition law by Who's Who Legal in 2017, 2018, and 2019. Additionally, Legal 500 named her a "Bright Rising Star" in the area of antitrust law. She is active in the leadership of the American Bar Association Antitrust Section, serving as a member of the Editorial Board for the ABA Antitrust Section's annual publication, Antitrust Law Developments.
Before joining Axinn, Jeny spent ten years in the antitrust practice of a global law firm. Prior to that, she served as a legal intern for the Federal Trade Commission, Bureau of Competition, and for the US Department of Justice, Antitrust Division (National Criminal Enforcement Section).
- Vice Chair, American Bar Association Section of Antitrust Law, Corporate Counseling Committee (2019-2020)
- Editorial Board, American Bar Association Section of Antitrust Law, "Antitrust Law Developments" publication (2018-2019)
- Young Lawyers' Advisory Panel, American Bar Association Section of Antitrust Law, Civil Practice and Procedure Committee (2013-2017)
• Representing Tufts Health Plan in its proposed merger with Harvard Pilgrim Health Care.
• Ongoing representation of McKesson, including (among other matters) helping to secure clearance for McKesson’s $3.4 billion healthcare technology joint venture with Change Healthcare (which was unconditionally cleared after a Second Request investigation), its $1.4 billion acquisition of CoverMyMeds, its $800 million acquisition of Medical Specialties Distributors (MSD), its $735 million acquisition of RxCrossRoads from CVS, its acquisitions of Labsco and Biologics, and the sale of its Enterprise Information Solutions business to Allscripts.
• Acted as lead global coordinating antitrust counsel to Dell Inc. in connection with its $67 billion acquisition of EMC Corporation.
• Global antitrust lead for Johnson Controls in the $2 billion sale of its Scott Safety business to 3M.
• Represented Stanley Black & Decker in its $900 million purchase of the Craftsman brand from Sears Holdings.
• Obtained clearance for Charles River Laboratories in its $585 million acquisition of WIL Research.
• Represented Tyler Technologies, Inc. in its $670 million acquisition of New World Systems Corporation.
• Represented Interactive Data Corporation in its $5.2 billion acquisition by Intercontinental Exchange Inc.
• Represented SunGard in its $9.1 billion acquisition by Fidelity National Information Services.
Who’s Who Legal Competition: Future Leaders (2017, 2018, and 2019)
Named a "Bright Rising Star" in Antitrust Law by Legal 500
Named to "Women Worth Watching 2018" by Profiles in Diversity Journal
- Axinn Representing Tufts Health Care in Harvard Pilgrim Health Care Merger
- Who's Who Legal Recognizes Eight Axinn Attorneys
- Axinn’s Antitrust Practice Nationally Ranked by The Legal 500 United States
- Jeny Maier Named a Profiles in Diversity Journal Woman Worth Watching
- Who's Who Legal Recognizes Seven Axinn Attorneys
- Axinn Promotes Jeny Maier and Jason Murata
- Axinn helps Johnson Controls Secure Global Antitrust Clearance for its $2 billion Sale of Scott Safety to 3M
- Who's Who Legal Recognizes Seven Axinn Attorneys
- Axinn Represents Johnson Controls International in the $2 Billion Sale of its Scott Safety Business to 3M
- Axinn Represents Stanley Black & Decker in its Purchase of the Craftsman Brand from Sears Holdings
- Axinn Promotes Stacie Ropka and Jeny Maier
- Axinn Secures Antitrust Clearance for McKesson’s Transaction with Change Healthcare to Form $3.4 Billion New Healthcare Information Technology Company
- Axinn Represents McKesson in Transaction with Change Healthcare to Form New Healthcare Information Technology Company
- Axinn Obtains FTC Clearance for Dell’s $67B Acquisition of EMC
- Axinn Represents Charles River Laboratories in $585M Acquisition of WIL Research
- Axinn Represents Tyler Technologies, Inc. in its Acquisition of New World Systems Corporation
- Axinn Represents IDC in $5.2B Acquisition by ICE
- Axinn Advises SunGard on Acquisition by FIS
- View More ›
- UnitedHealth-DaVita and Trends in Vertical Merger Enforcement, AHLA PG Briefing, July 11, 2019
- How I Made Partner: Jeny Maier, Law.com, June 19, 2019
- Judge Moves Aetna/CVS Deal Into Unchartered Tunney Act Waters, Bloomberg Law, June 4, 2019
- The Capitol Forum Thought Leaders Series, April 25, 2019
- Vertical Healthcare Merger Review After United States v. AT&T, Inc., AHLA Weekly, July 27, 2018
- AHLA Antitrust Practice Group Alert, American Health Lawyers Association, March 27, 2018
- ABA 68th Annual Section of Antitrust Law Spring Meeting
- CompLaw Antitrust Texas Conference
- Vertical Merger Enforcement: How to Effectively Navigate Through the Uncharted Waters of Complexities
- 2019 ABA Business Law Section Annual Meeting
- ACI 6th Annual Women Leaders in Life Sciences Law Conference
- Antitrust Issues for Government Contractors and the Defense Industry
- ACI 5th Annual Women Leaders in Life Sciences Law Conference
- A New Wave? Vertical Transactions in Healthcare Antitrust
- Hard Topics in Antitrust Risk Allocation
- Distribution Fundamental Series: Horizontal Arrangements
- ACI 4th Annual Women Leaders in Life Sciences Law Conference
- ABA Monthly Antitrust Update Program For In-House Counsel February 2016
- JD – The George Washington University Law School (2005)
- BS – Georgetown University (2000)
- District of Columbia
- New York
- US District Court District of Columbia
- US District Court Eastern District of New York
"[A] great competition lawyer with strong expertise in merger cases."
– Who's Who Legal 2019
"Celebrated for her 'knowledge and ability to provide clear and prescient insight into recent developments' in the field."
– Who's Who Legal 2018
"Leaves interviewees 'extremely impressed' with her ability to 'really punch above her weight' in the competition arena."
– Who's Who Legal 2017