Jeny Maier guides major corporations through large, strategic M&A transactions, using her significant experience to advise on pre-merger notification requirements and substantive competitive issues. Jeny helps clients navigate antitrust issues throughout the life cycle of a transaction, from initial risk analysis and due diligence, to negotiating merger agreement terms, through antitrust agency review, investigation and, where needed, remedies. She also regularly counsels clients who are third parties contacted by the antitrust agencies in connection with merger investigations. Described in Who’s Who Legal as a “great competition lawyer with strong expertise in merger cases” and the “knowledge and ability to provide clear and prescient insight” in to the competition world, Jeny is a sought-after antitrust advocate.
In addition to her deal work, Jeny also has considerable experience assisting clients with responding to civil and criminal antitrust investigations, and defending related class-action litigation. Jeny also advises clients on antitrust issues relating to pricing practices, distribution and marketing arrangements, intellectual property license agreements, and standard setting activities.
Jeny works with clients in a variety of industries, including health care, pharmaceuticals, technology, manufacturing, telecommunications, and transportation. She has worked on a number of major deals in these industries, including Sunrun’s $3.2 billion acquisition of Vivint Solar; McKesson's $3.4 billion joint venture with Change Healthcare; Dell’s $67 billion acquisition of EMC; Johnson Controls International $2 billion sale of its Scott Safety business to 3M; and Stanley Black & Decker’s $900 million purchase of the Craftsman brand from Sears Holdings.
Jeny has been named a "Future Leader" in competition law by Who's Who Legal every year since 2017. Additionally, Legal 500 named her a "Bright Rising Star" in the area of antitrust law. She is active in the leadership of the American Bar Association Antitrust Section, serving as a Vice Chair of the Section's Corporate Counseling Committee.
Before joining Axinn, Jeny spent ten years in the antitrust practice of a global law firm. Prior to that, she served as a legal intern for the Federal Trade Commission, Bureau of Competition, and for the US Department of Justice, Antitrust Division (National Criminal Enforcement Section).
- Vice Chair, American Bar Association, Antitrust Law Section, Corporate Counseling Committee (2019-2021)
- Editorial Board, American Bar Association, Antitrust Law Section, "Antitrust Law Developments" publication (2018-2019)
- Young Lawyers' Advisory Panel, American Bar Association, Antitrust Law Section, Civil Practice and Procedure Committee (2013-2017)
- American Bar Association, Health Law Section
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Represented Tufts Health Plan in its merger with Harvard Pilgrim Health Care.
- Represented Sunrun in its $3.2 billion acquisition of Vivint Solar, securing clearance without a Second Request investigation.
- Ongoing representation of McKesson, including helping to secure clearance for its $3.4 billion healthcare technology joint venture with Change Healthcare (which was unconditionally cleared after a Second Request investigation), its $1.4 billion acquisition of CoverMyMeds, its $800 million acquisition of Medical Specialties Distributors (MSD), its $735 million acquisition of RxCrossRoads from CVS, its acquisitions of Labsco and Biologics, and the sale of its Enterprise Information Solutions business to Allscripts.
- Acted as lead global coordinating antitrust counsel to Dell Inc. in connection with its $67 billion acquisition of EMC Corporation.
- Global antitrust lead for Johnson Controls in the $2 billion sale of its Scott Safety business to 3M.
- Represented Stanley Black & Decker in its $900 million purchase of the Craftsman brand from Sears Holdings.
- Obtained clearance for Charles River Laboratories in its $585 million acquisition of WIL Research.
- Represented Tyler Technologies, Inc. in its $670 million acquisition of New World Systems Corporation.
- Represented Interactive Data Corporation in its $5.2 billion acquisition by Intercontinental Exchange Inc.
- Represented SunGard in its $9.1 billion acquisition by Fidelity National Information Services.
- Counsel for RelayHealth, a subsidiary of McKesson, in a treble-damages class action case alleging a conspiracy to monopolize electronic prescribing.
- Counsel for the Alliance for Safe Online Pharmacies in a treble-damages antitrust action alleging a conspiracy to prevent PharmacyChecker.com from accessing internet platforms.
- Counsel for Independence Blue Cross of Pennsylvania in the class-action MDL against the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association and individual Blue Cross and Blue Shield plans alleging that the plans' designated service areas and other rules are anticompetitive.
Who’s Who Legal Competition: Future Leaders (2017, 2018, 2019, 2020)
Named a "Bright Rising Star" in Antitrust Law by Legal 500
Named to "Women Worth Watching 2018" by Profiles in Diversity Journal
- Axinn Advises Tyler Technologies on $2.3B Acquisition of NIC
- Who's Who Legal Recognizes Eleven Axinn Attorneys
- Axinn Advises Sunrun on $3.2B Acquisition of Vivint Solar
- Three Axinn Articles Nominated for Antitrust Writing Awards
- Axinn Representing Tufts Health Plan in Harvard Pilgrim Health Care Merger
- Who's Who Legal Recognizes Eight Axinn Attorneys
- Axinn’s Antitrust Practice Nationally Ranked by The Legal 500 United States
- Jeny Maier Named a Profiles in Diversity Journal Woman Worth Watching
- Who's Who Legal Recognizes Seven Axinn Attorneys
- Axinn Promotes Jeny Maier and Jason Murata
- Axinn Helps Johnson Controls Secure Global Antitrust Clearance for its $2 Billion Sale of Scott Safety to 3M
- Who's Who Legal Recognizes Seven Axinn Attorneys
- Axinn Represents Johnson Controls International in the $2 Billion Sale of its Scott Safety Business to 3M
- Axinn Represents Stanley Black & Decker in its Purchase of the Craftsman Brand from Sears Holdings
- Axinn Promotes Stacie Ropka and Jeny Maier
- Axinn Secures Antitrust Clearance for McKesson’s Transaction with Change Healthcare to Form $3.4 Billion New Healthcare Information Technology Company
- Axinn Represents McKesson in Transaction with Change Healthcare to Form New Healthcare Information Technology Company
- Axinn Obtains FTC Clearance for Dell’s $67B Acquisition of EMC
- Axinn Represents Charles River Laboratories in $585M Acquisition of WIL Research
- Axinn Represents Tyler Technologies, Inc. in its Acquisition of New World Systems Corporation
- Axinn Represents IDC in $5.2B Acquisition by ICE
- Axinn Advises SunGard on Acquisition by FIS
- View More ›
- FTC's Crackdown on Pharma Mergers Reflects 'Tougher' M&A Environment Under Biden Administration: Lawyer, FiercePharma, March 22, 2021
- If You Can’t Beat Them and You Can’t Join Them: Geisinger and Evangelical’s Settlement with DOJ Limits the Scope of Their Partial Acquisition and Collaboration, AHLA Health Law Weekly, March 12, 2021
- Will the FTC Get Tougher on Pharma Business Practices Under the Biden Administration?, STAT, January 19, 2021
- If You Can’t Beat Them and You Can’t Join Them: Geisinger-Evangelical’s Warning for Partial Acquisitions, AHLA PG Briefing, January 4, 2021
- Buyer Beware: Considerations for a Divestiture Buyer in “Litigating the Fix”, 3 Antitrust Report 22, LexisNexis, November 2020
- UnitedHealth-DaVita and Trends in Vertical Merger Enforcement, AHLA PG Briefing, July 11, 2019
- How I Made Partner: Jeny Maier, Law.com, June 19, 2019
- Judge Moves Aetna/CVS Deal Into Unchartered Tunney Act Waters, Bloomberg Law, June 4, 2019
- The Capitol Forum Thought Leaders Series, April 25, 2019
- Vertical Healthcare Merger Review After United States v. AT&T, Inc., AHLA Weekly, July 27, 2018
- AHLA Antitrust Practice Group Alert, American Health Lawyers Association, March 27, 2018
- AHLA Health Care Transactions Program
- ACI 7th Annual Women Leaders in Life Sciences Law Virtual Conference
- CompLaw Antitrust Texas Virtual Conference
- Recent Antitrust Developments in Healthcare & Pharma Q2 2020
- AHLA Virtual Annual Meeting
- ABA More Spring Blooms Series Webinar: Who Wants to be a Divestiture Buyer?
- CompLaw Antitrust Texas Conference
- Vertical Merger Enforcement: How to Effectively Navigate Through the Uncharted Waters of Complexities
- 2019 ABA Business Law Section Annual Meeting
- ACI 6th Annual Women Leaders in Life Sciences Law Conference
- Antitrust Issues for Government Contractors and the Defense Industry
- ACI 5th Annual Women Leaders in Life Sciences Law Conference
- A New Wave? Vertical Transactions in Healthcare Antitrust
- Hard Topics in Antitrust Risk Allocation
- Distribution Fundamental Series: Horizontal Arrangements
- ACI 4th Annual Women Leaders in Life Sciences Law Conference
- ABA Monthly Antitrust Update Program For In-House Counsel February 2016
- JD – The George Washington University Law School (2005)
- BS – Georgetown University (2000)
- District of Columbia
- New York
- US District Court District of Columbia
- US District Court Eastern District of New York
- US District Court Southern District of New York
Garners praise as “an excellent attorney and a wonderful person”, and has extensive experience counselling clients in complex M&A transactions.
– Who's Who Legal 2020
"[A] great competition lawyer with strong expertise in merger cases."
– Who's Who Legal 2019
"Celebrated for her 'knowledge and ability to provide clear and prescient insight into recent developments' in the field."
– Who's Who Legal 2018