David R. Pearl
{ Bio Portrait }

Leveraging his diverse legal and non-legal experience in both the private sector and government, David Pearl represents technology companies and other clients in high-stakes antitrust litigations and investigations by the Department of Justice and Federal Trade Commission in the U.S., as well as by international competition authorities in Europe, Australia, Japan, Canada, Mexico, and Brazil, among others. David also advises clients facing cross-border merger reviews from both an antitrust and foreign direct investment perspective.

David, a Harvard Law School graduate, balances an ability to see the big-picture with an emphasis on executing for his clients. David has an extensive track record of managing large groups across multiple law firms to successful outcomes. David also has particular expertise in Section 2 of the Sherman Act, having represented Google in multiple Section 2 litigations bought by government enforcers and private plaintiffs regarding Google’s advertising technology business.

Prior to joining Axinn, David was a senior political appointee at the U.S. Department of the Treasury during the Obama Administration. In this role, he drove cross-functional teams to advance policy initiatives across the Treasury portfolio in coordination with the White House and other federal agencies. From this vantage point, David was able to contribute to the Treasury Department in a variety of ways, including spearheading Congressional testimony prep, assessing transactions subject to the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS) review, and leading planning efforts for the 2016 Presidential Transition.

David is a member of Axinn’s Diversity Committee and the American Bar Association (ABA) Antitrust Section Task Force on Antitrust, Consumer Protection, and Diverse Consumers. David is also dedicated to the fair administration of elections: he has been part of the voter protection team of every Democratic Presidential campaign since 2008 and co-founded a voting rights technology start-up. David began his career in the antitrust and competition group of a global law firm.

More » « Less


  • Representing Google in numerous litigations and investigations into its advertising technology business practices in the U.S. and other jurisdictions.
  • Defended Tyson Foods Inc. in a consolidated treble-damages class action case alleging industry-wide conspiracy to manipulate the price of broiler chicken in the Northern District of Illinois.
  • Represented Stanley Black & Decker Inc. in its initial acquisition of a 20% stake in, and subsequent acquisition of the remaining 80% of, MTD Holdings Inc., a worldwide leader in outdoor power equipment.
  • Represented Goodrich Corporation in its $18.4 billion acquisition by United Technologies Corp.
  • Represented Clear Channel Communications, Inc. on its acquisition of Metro Networks, a producer and distributor of local radio programming.
  • Represented Essilor International in its acquisition of 50 percent of Shamir Optical Industry Ltd., an Israeli ophthalmic lens technology company.
  • Represented Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan in connection with a Department of Justice investigation into its proposed acquisition of Physicians Health Plan of Mid-Michigan.
  • Represented Hostess Brands, Inc. in the sales of its Wonder, Merita, Nature's Pride, Home Pride, and Butternut bread brands and associated bakeries to Flowers Foods, Inc.

* Includes matters handled prior to joining Axinn


  • U.S. Department of Treasury, Treasury Medal, the second-highest honor bestowed by the U.S. Secretary of the Treasury (2017)

Thought Leadership


  • JD – Harvard Law School (2008)
  • BS, Psychobiology, cum laude – University of California, Los Angeles (2004)


  • California
  • District of Columbia

By using the Axinn, Veltrop & Harkrider LLP website with cookies enabled on your browser, you agree to our use of cookies during your browsing experience. Learn more about our privacy policy.