Daniel Oakes's practice is focused on criminal antitrust investigation, merger analysis, antitrust counseling and antitrust litigation. Dan has worked on responding to government merger investigations, including coordination of responses to several second requests and civil investigative demands by the FTC and DOJ. He has also represented foreign clients in international cartel investigations before the DOJ, the Canadian Competition Bureau and European Commission.
Prior to attending law school, Dan worked as a managing analyst for an economic litigation consulting firm. During his work, he consulted on mergers and antitrust matters involving allegations of attempted monopolization, vertical restraints, price fixing, and market allocation as well as damages estimation. His consulting experience touched several industries including high technology composites, supermarkets, newspapers, spirits and movie theaters.
- American Bar Association, Section of Antitrust Law and Young Lawyers Division
- Completed internships at both the Antitrust Division of the Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), assisted in pre-merger investigations, evaluated Hart-Scott-Rodino filings, and aided the investigation of Section 2 claims in the technology sector.
- In February of 2018, Axinn was nominated for Global Competition Review “Litigation of the Year – Cartel Defence” for its work on behalf of Nishikawa Rubber Company in the Auto Parts litigation. This award recognizes “creative, strategic and innovative litigation on behalf of a defendant in a private action for cartel damages.”
- First place – American Bar Association Section of Public Contract Law 2010 Writing Competition
- Summary Judgment Motion Granted for Axinn Client UPMC
- Axinn Receives GCR Award Nomination for Cartel Representation
- Axinn Nominated for Global M&A Deal of the Year by Atlas Awards
- FTC Approves Final Order for Thermo Fisher's $13.6 Billion Acquisition of Life Technologies
- Axinn Obtains Global Antitrust Clearance for Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.’s $13.6 billion Acquisition
- View More ›
- Bringing Light to the DOJ’s Cartel Fine Methodology with the Auto Parts Plea Agreements, The Antitrust Bulletin, December 1, 2018
- Connecting the Dots: Tracing the DOJ’s Inclusion of Indirect Commerce in Auto Parts Criminal Penalties, ABA Antitrust Magazine, July 20, 2018
John DeQ. Briggs and Daniel K. Oakes, "Eurotunnel and the Short Sea Battle Between the French and the English: A U.S. Perspective," Revue Concurrences N° 1-2014, Art. N° 62589 (Feb. 2014).
Inching Toward Balance: Reaching Proper Reform of the Alaska Native Corporations' 8(a) Contracting Preferences, 40 Pub. Cont. L.J. 777 (2011).
- JD, with Honors – The George Washington University Law School (2011) Honors: Public Contracts Law Journal
- BA – Brigham Young University (2005)
- District of Columbia
- US District Court District of Columbia