John Tanski is an experienced courtroom advocate. Clients rely on John’s sound advice to help them navigate sophisticated business disputes, particularly those involving claims of anticompetitive conduct, trade secret theft, unfair trade practices, breach of contract, fraud and breach of fiduciary duty. Clients praise John's “intellectual firepower” and describe him as “a valuable counselor to the business clients as they weigh the pros and cons of the possible paths to follow.”
John has won favorable results for clients in a variety of industries ranging from manufacturing and insurance to pharmaceuticals and software. His recent significant successes include winning summary judgment for Stanley Black & Decker to defeat a nine-figure antitrust boycott claim and winning dismissal of all claims against a German exhaust system manufacturer in the Auto Parts MDL.
John also has significant appellate experience in both federal and state courts. In addition to his work for paying clients, John won a unanimous reversal of two Travel Act sentences as appointed counsel under the Criminal Justice Act, leading to his client’s release after more than twenty-three years in federal prison. Before entering private practice, he served as a law clerk to the Honorable Paul J. Kelly, Jr. of the United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit.
John's community leadership roles include serving as the Vice Chairman of the Glastonbury Water Pollution Control Authority and as a member of the Connecticut State Advisory Committee to the United States Commission on Civil Rights. He is a former member of the Commission on Connecticut’s Leadership in Corporation and Business Law. John's pro bono work has included representing inmates in civil rights lawsuits in federal district court and serving as trial counsel in discrimination matters for the Connecticut Commission on Human Rights and Opportunities.
- American Bar Association, Section of Litigation
- US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, Pro Bono
- Panel (2019 – 2022)
- Represents Tyson Foods in the Broiler Chicken antitrust litigation in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois.
- Represents Nishikawa Rubber Company in the Auto Parts antitrust MDL in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan.
- Won dismissal of all claims against Friedrich Boysen GmbH & Co. KG in the Auto Parts antitrust class action MDL in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan.
- Won unanimous affirmance in the Fourth Circuit of summary judgment defeating a nine-figure antitrust claim alleging that Stanley Black & Decker and other table saw manufacturers engaged in a group boycott of table saw safety technology.
Intellectual Property Litigation
- Won summary judgment of no lost profits for Hubbell erasing a ten-figure trade secret damages claim relating to wireless lighting control systems in the United States District Court for the District of Connecticut.
- Won a temporary restraining order preventing Lego from blocking the import of construction toys by Canadian manufacturer Mega Brands in the United States District Court for the Central District of California.
- Served on a trial team that obtained a favorable resolution for Actavis of ten-figure patent infringement claims by Pfizer relating to the drug Gabapentin in the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey.
Other Complex Commercial Litigation
- Represents a generic pharmaceutical manufacturer in the Opioid litigation In the United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio and in Pennsylvania state court.
- Successfully briefed an appeal on behalf of national insurance broker Brown & Brown, winning unanimous affirmance in the Connecticut Supreme Court of summary judgment on all claims brought by Blumberg Associates Worldwide. He previously briefed and argued the case successfully in the Connecticut Appellate Court.
- Won a preliminary injunction in the United States District Court for the Western District of Washington for healthcare benefit and payment solutions provider WEX Health (formerly Evolution1) requiring benefits administrator Flex-Plan Services, Inc. to continue to perform the parties’ contract after Flex-Plan sued WEX Health seeking early termination.
- Won permission from the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit to take an interlocutory appeal of an order certifying a class for claims of false advertising against Mead Johnson, the maker of Enfamil LIPIL infant formula. Then persuaded the Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation to transfer and consolidate similar class actions filed in districts across the country. Then obtained court approval of nationwide settlement of the consolidated claims, and then won unanimous affirmance of the settlement's approval in the Eleventh Circuit.
- The Hartford Business Journal 40 Under Forty Class (2019)
- Best Lawyers (2019 & 2020)
- Super Lawyers (2013 - 2019)
In February of 2018, Axinn was nominated for Global Competition Review "Litigation of the Year – Cartel Defence" for its work on behalf of Nishikawa Rubber Company in the Auto Parts litigation. This award recognizes "creative, strategic and innovative litigation on behalf of a defendant in a private action for cartel damages."
- In February of 2017, Axinn was nominated for Global Competition Review “Litigation of the Year – Non-Cartel Defence” for its work in winning summary judgment for Stanley Black & Decker in a lawsuit alleging that leading table saw manufacturers had conspired to boycott saw safety technology.
- Named as a “New Leader in the Law” by the Connecticut Law Tribune (2013)
- Axinn Partners Named to Best Lawyers 2020
- Axinn Partner John Tanski Named Hartford Business Journal “40 Under Forty” Winner
- Axinn Obtains Substantial Recovery For Pro Bono Client
- Axinn Attorneys Named in Super Lawyers 2018
- Axinn Wins Motion to Dismiss on Behalf of Friedrich Boysen GmbH & Co. KG
- Nine Axinn Partners Named to Best Lawyers 2019
- Axinn Wins Unanimous Fourth Circuit Victory for Stanley Black & Decker
- Axinn Obtains Global Settlement of Claims Against Code Rebel
- Axinn Receives GCR Award Nomination for Cartel Representation
- Axinn Attorneys Named in Super Lawyers 2017
- GCR Nominates Axinn for Litigation of the Year, Deal of the Year and Dealmaker of the Year
- Axinn Wins Summary Judgment for Stanley Black & Decker
- Axinn Attorneys Named in Super Lawyers 2016
- Axinn Attorneys Named in Super Lawyers 2015
- Axinn Promotes Rachel Adcox and John Tanski to Partner; Thomas Hedemann to Counsel
- John Tanski Appointed to State Business Commission
- Axinn Attorneys Named in Super Lawyers 2014
- Connecticut Supreme Court Unanimously Affirms Summary Judgment for Axinn Client
- Axinn Wins Preliminary Injunction for WEX Health (formerly known as Evolution1)
- John Tanski Honored as "New Leader in the Law"
- Axinn Wins Another Appeal for Brown & Brown
- View More ›
- Axinn Insights on U.S. Litigation for Japanese Companies: The Duty to Preserve Documents and Implement Litigation Holds in U.S. Civil Litigation, August 19, 2019
- Integrating Trade Secrets into a Comprehensive IP Strategy, Today's General Counsel, June 19, 2018
- 'Extraordinary' $46M BofA Award Upends Punitives Formula, Law360, April 27, 2018
- Recent Developments in Japanese and U.S. Trade Secret Laws, Business Law Journal, No. 104, November 2016
- Trade Secrets Bill Clears House, Obama to Sign Into Law, Bloomberg BNA, April 28, 2016
- Are Your Secrets Safe?, Risk Management, June 1, 2014
- Protecting Business Trade Secrets When Working Abroad, Hartford Business Journal, April 28, 2014
- IP Law: Trade Secrets And Patent Reform, The Connecticut Law Tribune, April 17, 2014
- Drawing the Line Between Descriptive and Suggestive Trademarks, Commercial & Business Litigation, September 15, 2010
“When Hiring and Firing, Don’t Forget The FCRA: Plaintiffs’ Lawyers Cash In When Employers Don’t Know the Rules,” co-authored with Jennifer R. Rossi (7/2009), published in Connecticut Lawyer
“TARP’s New ‘Cop on the Beat’ Pledges Aggressive Federal Investigations,” co-authored with Edward J. Heath (3/23/2009), published in Fairfield County Business Journal, also published in CBIA News
“Heartland Data Security Breach Highlights the Need for Uniformity, Transparency in Consumer Notification Rules,” co-authored with Mathew P. Jasinski and Jennifer R. Rossi (2/23/2009), published in Fairfield County Business Journal
“That’s Privileged—Or Is It?,” co-authored with Edward J. Heath (3/2008), published in Connecticut Law Tribune
“The Law of Departing Employees and Business Partners: Commonly Asserted Tort and Contract Claims” (11/2007), co-authored with Edward J. Heath for the CBA seminar “Hey! You Stole My Business”
- Hartford Business Journal's 40 Under Forty Awards
- Global Antitrust Practice in the 2020s: Lessons From Europe and the United States, Including Cartel Defense Strategy, Platform Markets, and More
- So You Thought You Settled: A Guide to U.S. Class Actions
- Ethics and Intellectual Property: Traps, Pitfalls, and Adventures in IP Lawyering (2018)
- 2018 CBA Annual Connecticut Legal Conference
- The Federal Circuit Relaxes the Rules on Proving Divided Infringement
- Damages Under State Trade Secret Laws and The Defend Trade Secrets Act of 2016
- Document Management Policies: Reducing Future Litigation Risk & Cost
- Ethics and Intellectual Property Traps, Pitfalls and Adventures in IP Lawyering (2017)
- The Essentials of Depositions
- 2017 CBA Annual Connecticut Legal Conference
- Magna’s Mock Crisis; Part III
- How to Break Your Adversary Without Breaking the Bank: IP Litigation Strategies
- Trading in Secrets: Dealing with Employee and Data Mobility
- JD – Columbia Law School (2006) Managing Editor, Columbia Journal of Transnational Law. James Kent Scholar. Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar. Simon H. Rifkind Prize. Lawrence S. Greenbaum Prize.
- AB, cum laude – Princeton University (2003)
- New York
- US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- US District Court District of Connecticut
- US District Court Southern District of New York
- US District Court Eastern District of Michigan
- US Supreme Court