Angelina Whitfield helps clients navigate all aspects of antitrust law, with a substantial emphasis on matters requiring multi-state and federal coordination. She specializes in cutting-edge pharmaceutical, high-tech, and intellectual property antitrust matters.
Angelina has significant experience conducting high-stakes antitrust litigations and investigations at the state and national levels. Before joining Axinn, Angelina served for five years in the Illinois Attorney General’s Antitrust Bureau. As an Assistant Attorney General, she litigated two antitrust class actions in state court (obtaining settlements exceeding $226 million), as well as several federal antitrust class actions in coordination with government enforcers and private parties. She had a lead role in conducting industry-wide investigations involving emerging antitrust issues like “no-poach”, reverse payments, and forced switching. She has investigated proposed mergers with state attorneys general, the FTC, and DOJ. She has experience in a wide range of industries, including consumer electronics, pharmaceuticals, labor/employment, ultilities, healthcare, and title insurance.
Angelina earned her JD at the University of Missouri, where she served as an associate for the Journal of Environmental Law and Sustainability, and as a research assistant to Professor Dennis Crouch. As a student attorney in Missouri’s Entrepreneurial Clinic, she assisted biotechnology startups with patent prosecution and venture capital funding. She has completed judicial internships with the U.S. District Court (W.D. Mo.) and the Missouri Court of Appeals (Southern District).
***Not yet admitted to the NY Bar.
- Chicago Bar Association, Antitrust Section – Vice Chair, 2019-present
- Hispanic National Bar Association
- Chicago Women Antitrust Lawyers Network
- American Bar Association, Section of Antitrust Law
- Young Lawyer Representative for the ABA Trial Practice Committee
- Represented the State of Illinois in two state suits and related federal class actions against major high-tech manufacturers for price-fixing CRTs and LCDs, resulting in settlement of $226 million USD for Illinois and its citizens.*
- Litigated multistate federal antitrust suit against multiple pharmaceutical manufacturers for allegedly price-fixing generic drugs.*
- Litigated multistate federal antitrust suit against brand manufacturer of opiod treatment drug Suboxone for alleged "product-hopping".*
- Represent Google in various competition-related matters in the United States and other jurisdictions.
- Represented the State of Illinois in investigation of alleged reverse payments between brand and generic manufacturers of Lidoderm® lidocaine patches, resulting in multistate settlement of $2.3 million USD.*
- Headed state investigation into alleged “no-poach” agreements and wage-fixing by Illinois staffing agencies, resulting in state court litigation.*
- Represented the State of Illinois in investigating merger between competing title insurance providers with FTC and other states.*
- Conducted confidential investigations into other mergers in cooperation with other states, the FTC, and DOJ.*
*Includes matters handled prior to joining Axinn
- Highlights From OECD Roundtable on Killer Acquisitions, Law360, June 16, 2020
- How to Combat IP-Facilitated Digital Fraud During Pandemic, Law360, April 20, 2020
- A Deep Dive Into the Antitrust Claims Against Facebook, The Daily Journal, February 14, 2020
State & Federal Cooperation in Hospital Merger Challenges: Advocate-NorthShore, State Enforcement Newsletter (Fall 2018)
Blocking Eco-Patent Trolls, Note, 21 J. Envtl. & Sustainability L. 307 (2015)
- JD – University of Missouri School of Law (2014)
- BA, English Literature – Truman State University (2010)