On December 5, Axinn partner John Tanski spoke at a seminar entitled, "Ethics and Intellectual Property: Traps, Pitfalls, and Adventures in IP Lawyering CLE" in Hartford, Connecticut.
Presented by the CBA Intellectual Property Section, this seminar discussed legal ethics from the perspective of the intellectual property attorney. Speakers provided commentary and facilitated discussion on ethical scenarios and dilemmas faced in different areas of IP law. Topics of discussion included:
- What happens if you miss a patent filing deadline, either in the U.S. or another country?
- Conducting ethical and admissible intellectual property infringement and counterfeiting investigations
- How to draft an ethical and enforceable cease and desist letter
- How to know whom one’s client is in the case of joint inventorship or authorship
- The duty of candor to administrative agencies