Stephen Axinn is the firm's senior partner. Over the course of his career spanning more than 50 years, he has represented many of this country's leading corporate and individual clients in a wide variety of precedent-setting cases in trial and appellate courts throughout the nation. He also has counseled clients as to the antitrust aspects of many of the most significant merger and acquisition transactions in the past thirty years. Steve is also an experienced antitrust criminal defense attorney.
For many years prior to forming Axinn, Steve headed the antitrust and trade regulation department at Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP. He is the author of a number of scholarly articles on antitrust subjects. He co-authored the definitive treatise on the Hart-Scott-Rodino Antitrust Improvements Act, published by Law Journal Seminars Press.
- American Bar Association, Antitrust Section (1980—1983), Chair, Committee on Section 7 of the Clayton Act
- New York State Bar Association, Antitrust Section (1982—1985), Chair
- Practicing Law Institute (1991); Co-Chair, White Collar Crime & the Federal Sentencing Guidelines
- Represented Bauer Performance Sports, Ltd. as U.S. antitrust counsel in its $330 million asset acquisition of the Easton baseball, softball and lacrosse businesses from Easton-Bell Sports.
- Represented Ecolab in its proposed acquisition of Permian Mud LLC and Optical Distributor Group in its acquisition by ABB Concise.
- Successfully represented Zuffa LLC, the owner of the Ultimate Fighting Championship, Mixed Martial Arts promoter in connection with an investigation by the Federal Trade Commission.
- Served as lead counsel to Bemis Company in connection with its acquisition of the assets of Rio Tinto’s Food Packaging Americas assets.
- Successfully defended on appeal to the Second Circuit Court of Appeals dismissal of an antitrust action against his client, the health insurance company, GHI in connection with its combination with HIP.
- Lead counsel to Ball Corp. in its acquisition of certain Anheuser Busch Inbev aluminum-can manufacturing assets.
- Represented Mastercard International’s Board of Directors in connection with the antitrust aspects of the design of the initial public offering of Mastercard securities.
- Represented BellSouth in the merger with AT&T. In 2005, he successfully represented GameStop in its acquisition of Electronics Boutique and Movie Gallery in its acquisition of Hollywood Video.
"A real intellectual" who is "very much a force" as a litigator – Chambers USA (2013)
New York Super Lawyers (2006 - 2014)
- Three Axinn Partners Ranked by Chambers in Global Guide
- Axinn Obtains Antitrust Clearance for Caraustar Industries’ Acquisition of The Newark Group
- Matt Becker, Jim Veltrop, John Briggs, Steve Axinn and Fran Morrison Named to the List of 2015 Best Lawyers in America
- Axinn Attorneys Named in Super Lawyers® 2014
- Axinn Represented Bauer Performance Sports Ltd. in $330 Million Acquisition of Easton Baseball/Softball
- GCR 100 Ranks Axinn as "Highly Recommended"
- Axinn Earns Tier 1 in "Best Law Firms"
- GCR Rates Axinn's Antitrust Practice as "Highly Recommended"
- Axinn, Veltrop & Harkrider Serves as Lead Antitrust Counsel for Ecolab in $2.2 Billion Acquisition
- Axinn Partners Selected by Chambers USA
- Axinn Partners Named New York Super Lawyers 2011 - Metro Edition
- Axinn Partners Named to Super Lawyers Business Edition 2011
- Axinn Wins in 2nd Circuit GHI HIP Merger
- Axinn Partners Again Ranked by Chambers
- Axinn Practice Groups, Attorneys Rank Highly in Chambers 2010 USA Release
- Super Lawyers Names Axinn Attorneys - New York Metro 2010
- Axinn Recognized Among the Best Antitrust Practices in NY by Global Competition Review Magazine
- Axinn Partners Named New York Super Lawyers 2009 - Metro
- Axinn, Veltrop & Harkrider LLP Ranked Among Top New York Law Firms by Chambers USA
- Francis Morrison, William Rubenstein and Stephen Axinn included in the 25th anniversary edition of Best Lawyer in America
- Steve Axinn on Channel 13's "The Open Mind"
- Axinn Attorneys Named New York Super Lawyers 2008
- Chambers USA Ranks Axinn, Veltrop & Harkrider LLP Among Top New York Law Firms
- Axinn Represents INEOS in U.S. Litigation
- Axinn Attorneys Named New York Super Lawyers 2007- Metro Edition
- Axinn,Veltrop & Harkrider LLP Successfully Defeats the City of New York’s Motion for a Temporary Restraining Order Seeking to Enjoin the Affiliation Between Group Health Incorporated and the Health Insurance Plan of Greater New York
- Axinn Partners Named to New York Super Lawyers 2006 - Metro
- Axinn Obtains Antitrust Clearance for Rent-Way, Inc.'s $567 Million Acquisition by Rent-A-Center
- Axinn Successfully Concludes Foreign Auction Bid Rigging Case
- Axinn Obtains Antitrust Clearance for Omnicare's Acquisition of Rival Neighborcare
- Axinn Wins Antitrust Clearance for Movie Gallery's Acquisition of Hollywood Video
- Senior Partner Steve Axinn Named in Chambers USA 2005 Client’s Guide
- Axinn Wins Dismissal of Yeshiva University from Antitrust Conspiracy Class Action
- Axinn Counsels BellSouth and Cingular in Acquisition of AT&T Wireless
- Axinn Represents Harcourt General in Sale to Reed Elsevier and Thomson Corporation
- Axinn Represents Sungard Data Systems Inc. in Acquisition of Availability Solutions Business of Comdisco Inc.
- New York State Attorney General’s Office Retains Axinn
- View More ›
Articles & Newsletters
- DOJ Probes of Industry M&As Remain Lengthy, Intensive But Companies Don’t See a Roadblock, PPI Pulp & Paper Week, March 13, 2015
- Globalization and Antitrust: The Last 40 Years, Fordham Corp. Law Institute, 2014
- Towards Neutral Principles of Antitrust Enforcement, Fordham Corp. Law Institute, 2007
- Milton Handler Antitrust Review 2002: In Search of Congruence Between Legislative Purpose and Administrative Policy, 2003 Colum. Bus. L. Rev. 431, 2003
- Merger Review and Litigation Involving the Acquisition of Bankrupt Companies, ANTITRUST, a publication of ABA Section of Anitrust Law, Summer 2002
- LLB, Columbia Law School (1962)
- BS, Syracuse University (1959)
- District of Columbia
- New York
- US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- US District Court Eastern District of New York
- US District Court Southern District of New York
- US Court of Federal Claims
- US Federal Courts
- US Supreme Court